Hi Nicolas, I understand that org-mode is not LaTeX and therefore the org-mode internal representation of LaTeX should not matter to end users like me. That's fair enough. In the end of the day the reason why I started looking into this is the fact that I do not find user friendly that org-mode, when filling a paragraph, interprets \[...\] as any inline snippet and does not keep it on a separate line (as recommended by the LaTeX manual, see attached document). That's it. I've therefore started messing around with org-element-paragraph-separate, but after a while I thought that it would be better to look at how the \begin...\end environments are handled and try to do the same with \[...\]. That's how I noticed the difference between the two (and perceived it as wrong handling of \[...\]). I just thought that correcting the filling behavior of org-mode would be useful to all users of org-mode and not just me. In any case, if it's just me, I would greatly appreciate an advice on how to achieve my goal from somebody with a good understanding of the internals of org-mode. Is there a better way than just changing org-element-paragraph-separate? Thank you in advance for any advice. Best Regards, Fede P.S.: I've attached for reference two pages, from the book written by LaTeX's creator (the book I've mentioned on my first email), on how to use the various mathematical constructs. On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Federico Beffa wrote: > I understand that. However, using \[...\] inline within a paragraph is > not the intended use of \[...\]. The use of \[...\] is for > mathematical expressions which you want to stand out, on their own > lines. > > For inline mathematical expressions there are the constructs \(...\) and $...$. > > Regards, > Fede > > On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Nicolas Goaziou > wrote: >> Federico Beffa writes: >> >>> Of course \[ 1+1 \] is valid LaTeX syntax, just as inline >>> \begin{displaymath} 1+1 \end{displaymath} is valid. >> >> But \begin{displaymath} 1+1 \end{displaymath} isn't valid in an Org >> paragraph. >> >>> In my opinion a construct which will be displayed on a line by itself >>> and with some space separating it from the preceding and the following >>> text lines such as "\[ ... \]" would be better represented as a >>> latex-environment and not an inline latex-fragment. In this way the >>> org-mode text representation with proper fill-paragraph handling would >>> be much more readable and consistent with the meaning of the syntax >>> that it borrowed. >> >> That would prevent \[...\] to be recognized within a paragraph, as in >> the example above. I don't think it's worth removing it as long as there >> is a latex-environment alternative for it. >> >> >> Regards, >> >> -- >> Nicolas Goaziou