I should have mentioned that I'm not exporting any of this. I only use org by itself; I never export things to other formats. So the link behavior that I need is for making and following links inside org/emacs; noweb and other things aren't important. The (ahem) link to the org-coderef-label-format is what I was looking for: I set that to just (%s) and now something like the above example works without adding the "ref:" bit. I'll update the emacs.sx post. Thanks! On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 4:48 AM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Dan Drake writes: > > > Hello -- I'm wondering about my question from here: > > > > > https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/77768/why-the-inconsistency-with-org-mode-code-line-labels-and-links > > > > Copying my question: in a source code special block, I can add code line > > labels, which have ref: in the label -- but when I make a link there, I > > have to omit the ref:. For example: > > ... > > 1047 bar = 5; // (ref:my-code-line-label) > > ... > > There's a bug [[(my-code-line-label)][right here]]. > > > > This seems inconsistent. Why do I have to omit the ref: bit? This always > > confuses me; it seems like it would be simpler to just make the label and > > the links to that line of code be exactly the same. I don't see any > > particular reference to this in the org manual ( > > https://orgmode.org/manual/Internal-Links.html). Any insights? > > The way coderefs appear in the code are completely configurable using > org-coderef-label-format ("(ref:%s)" by default) and using -l src code > switch. > > > My idea would be to get rid of the special behavior for code line labels > > and just make this work with dedicated targets: in regular parts of my > org > > file, I use <> and can make links to that. It would be > simple > > and consistent to make that also work the same when <> is > > inside a code block. > > If you examine 12.6 Literal Examples section of Org manual, you will see > that coderef links are exported specially: > > In literal examples, Org interprets strings like ‘(ref:name)’ as > labels, and use them as targets for special hyperlinks like > ‘[[(name)]]’—i.e., the reference name enclosed in single parenthesis. > In HTML, hovering the mouse over such a link remote-highlights the > corresponding code line, which is kind of cool. > > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at > -- Ceci n'est pas une .signature.