* Combining multiple org files as chapters in a thesis
@ 2012-10-11 13:22 Subhasis Ray
From: Subhasis Ray @ 2012-10-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 I am trying to write my thesis using org-mode and followed this thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2007-12/msg00034.html.
But instead of putting everything in one file, I was creating one file for
each chapter with the assumption that like LaTeX I should be able to
combine them in one master file.
I am able to export each chapter individually into PDF. I tried to include
them in the master file as this:

#+include "~/Documents/thesis/introduction.org"
#+include "~/Documents/thesis/chapter1.org"
#+include "~/Documents/thesis/chapter2.org"
#+include "~/Documents/thesis/discussion.org"

 but when I tried to export the master file, I get error messages on
figures that I created using tikz package (topbot is a shape I define using
tikz):

----8<------->8-----
Latexmk: Reference `fig:figure1' on page 18 undefined
! Package pgfkeys Error: I do not know the key '/tikz/topbot' and I am
going to
 ignore it. Perhaps you misspelled it.

----8<------->8-----

I have the same LaTeX headers in each file. I tried moving it to the top of
the master file but that did not help.
Concatenating all the files into one sort-of works but when I replaced
biblatex' \printbibliography[heading=none] at the end of each file with
\newrefsection[biliographyfile] in the combined file, the reference
sections become empty.

Is there a nice way to combine multiple org-files that I am missing?

Thanks,
  Subha

* Re: Combining multiple org files as chapters in a thesis
@ 2012-10-11 13:50 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-10-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Subhasis,

Just a small remark:

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 06:52:56PM +0530, Subhasis Ray wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am trying to write my thesis using org-mode and followed this thread:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2007-12/msg00034.html.
> But instead of putting everything in one file, I was creating one file for
> each chapter with the assumption that like LaTeX I should be able to
> combine them in one master file.
> I am able to export each chapter individually into PDF. I tried to include
> them in the master file as this:
>
> #+include "~/Documents/thesis/introduction.org"
> #+include "~/Documents/thesis/chapter1.org"
> #+include "~/Documents/thesis/chapter2.org"
> #+include "~/Documents/thesis/discussion.org"

I believe your syntax here is incorrect.  It should be:

  #+include: "/path/to/org/file.org"

Welcome to Org mode; I wrote my thesis in Org mode last year although I
went with the one-big-file way.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Combining multiple org files as chapters in a thesis
@ 2012-10-11 14:49   ` Subhasis Ray
From: Subhasis Ray @ 2012-10-11 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Subhasis,
>
> Just a small remark:
>
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 06:52:56PM +0530, Subhasis Ray wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I am trying to write my thesis using org-mode and followed this thread:
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2007-12/msg00034.html.
> > But instead of putting everything in one file, I was creating one file
> for
> > each chapter with the assumption that like LaTeX I should be able to
> > combine them in one master file.
> > I am able to export each chapter individually into PDF. I tried to
> include
> > them in the master file as this:
> >
> > #+include "~/Documents/thesis/introduction.org"
> > #+include "~/Documents/thesis/chapter1.org"
> > #+include "~/Documents/thesis/chapter2.org"
> > #+include "~/Documents/thesis/discussion.org"
> >

> I believe your syntax here is incorrect.  It should be:
>
>   #+include: "/path/to/org/file.org"
>
> Welcome to Org mode; I wrote my thesis in Org mode last year although I
> went with the one-big-file way.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thanks for your response. I just checked that both forms work. Actually I
had inserted the files interactively using the org key binding: <I TAB.
I did come across your posts in the mailing list. Your contributions have
been useful.
Subhasis

* Re: Combining multiple org files as chapters in a thesis
@ 2012-10-11 15:38 ` Subhasis Ray
From: Subhasis Ray @ 2012-10-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode