I think there's some misunderstanding here regarding my initial question. I do NOT want the subheading to go between the first one and the logbook. When I hit Ctrl-Enter at the end of the line, that's where it goes. I didn't choose to do that, and I would like it not to. To get what I want now, I have to collapse the drawer and go to the end of the line (past the "..." denoting the drawer) before adding a subheading. That's unnecessary work that I shouldn't have to do. I want the behavior to be such that after I type in the todo text, hit C-c C-t (to label it as a todo), and hit ctrl-enter -- right there, without moving the cursor again -- it should create a subheading BELOW the drawer. When you created your test case, where did you position the cursor before creating a subheading? Did you move the cursor between C-c C-t and Ctrl-Enter? If so, I think that shouldn't be necessary, but right or wrong, I'm trying to modify the behavior so I don't have to do that. If you didn't move the cursor, then can you suggest why my org-mode is behaving that way? I tried with a vanilla install (no custom settings at all) and got the same thing. Keith On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Keith M Swartz writes: > > > Step-by-step -- after step 1 [note: the logbook is collapsed initially, > but > > I expanded it here to show the contents. Expanding the logbook before > > creating a sub-item may alter the results; I haven't tried that.] > > > > * TODO First item > > :LOGBOOK: > > - State "TODO" from [2015-09-04 Fri 13:25] > > :END: > > > > after step 2: > > > > * TODO First item > > *** TODO Second item > > :LOGBOOK: > > - State "TODO" from [2015-09-04 Fri 13:26] > > - State "TODO" from [2015-09-04 Fri 13:25] > > :END: > > So you insert sub-heading between the first one and its logbook. Well, > this is to be expected. I don't see why Org should prevent you to do > that. > > You may use, e.g., C-RET to insert new heading past contents of the > first one. > > Regards, > -- Keith M Swartz oneroadkms@gmail.com