Nicolas, Thank you for your response. I now see that I had misunderstood the documentation. Also, it occurs to me that one can make use of single quotation marks as primary quotes when mentioning a word without using it. Moreover, when italics and double quotation marks are also present, the use of single quotations as primary is necessary. For example: 'GNU' is an acronym for the phrase "GNU's Not Unix!" but GNU is an > operating system and *not *an acronym. Is it feasible to add an option to treat single quotation marks as primary pairs on export? Thanks, Coleman Gariety On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 7:46 AM Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Hello, > > Coleman Gariety writes: > > > According to documentation (org-export-with-smart-quotes) should treat > > "pairs of single quotes as secondary quotes." This text: > > Only within primary quotes! If there are no primary quotes around, you > don't need a second level of quotation, and single quotes are not > special. > > Regards, > > -- > Nicolas Goaziou >