Thanks! You're right, I was confused. In the phrase "Pressing the single-quote FOLLOWED by another character modifies the symbol BEFORE POINT with an accent or a font.", I got tricked by the "followed". I thought it meant: "press the single-quote, then the character YOU WANT TO MODIFY". Of course, re-reading the sentence with your explanation now makes sense. I don't remember right now what I understood when I read it the first time, but possibly I also interpreted the "symbol before point" as "the symbol before point after you pressed the single-quote", hence my confusion. > "Modify PREVIOUS char/group/macro with math accent/style." does not > contradict the above. Indeed! that was my point. I got this docstring right, it was the manual that I misread. > You were clearly confused by the manual text, so you may certainly be > improved. > If you have a suggestion how to improve the present text in the manual, > feel free to share it. I don't know if it's worth changing it, but I may suggest to change "modifies the symbol before point with an accent or a font." with "modifies the symbol before THE SINGLE-QUOTE with an accent or a font." ? Thanks, Alessandro