From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: "Victor A. Stoichita" <victor@svictor.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Reciprocal links between items
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 14:53:52 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Victor,

Currently Org-ID can only be placed on entries.  This uses the
properties drawer.  When we are talking about entries, what I do is,
use Org-ID links to entries to go in one direction, and an agenda
search to go in the opposite direction as follows.

(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c w") 'alpha-org-what-links-here)
(defun alpha-org-what-links-here ()
  "Show all links that point to the current node.
Possibly also show the target node itself.

I think this gets all archive files in $dorg, including ones with
no corresponding .org file.  See `alpha-org-all-org-files'.

  - fixme produce error if no id or fix non-id search
  - fixme Bug in Org: g in agenda removes entries =maybe fixed
  - fixme org text search does not work in non-org-mode files or
    in org files text above the outline tree ka
    - we might want to search in del and dsh also via grep

This makes Org ID links quasi-bidirectional.
"
  (interactive)
  (let ((org-agenda-files (alpha-org-all-org-files))

        org-agenda-skip-comment-trees
        org-agenda-skip-archived-trees

        (search-string (or
                        ;; inherits id from ancestors
                        ;; raw id so it will pick up target
                        (alpha-awhen (org-entry-get nil "ID" t)
                          (regexp-quote it))
                        (concat "{\\("
                                ;; tries searching a link to id
                                ;; not sure if useful
                                (regexp-quote (org-store-link nil))
                                "\\|\\<"
                                ;; not sure if useful
                                (regexp-quote (org-get-heading))
                                "\\>\\)}"))))
    (org-search-view nil search-string)))

When you say item, do you mean list item, or thing?  In either case,
Org cannot currently do this.

To do that, you can search the mailing list for ID markers and
implement them, which pretty much do what you want, or try
implementing something with the new link mechanism to include Org-ID.
This would allow them as link targets.

I think Org-ID is likely to be part of your mix, regardless of what
you do to implement this, if you do.

One concern I have is that Org-ID is already slow in searching.
Making it search for anything of a lower syntactic status than entries
might or might not make it slower.  Perhaps it would be necessary to
tell the search engine what it is looking for.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html