From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: git branch rename and git config q
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 16:35:44 -0700	[thread overview]

more confused than ever.  i hoped i could just run a rename command,
or possibly rename maint to bugfix in config.

there is no git remove command in my version of git.  i tried remote
instead.  on branch local.

$ git remote -v show; git branch -r -v
origin	https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git (fetch)
origin	https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git (push)
  origin/Globals                               796952ac7 Add missing
declarations in org-element
  origin/HEAD                                  -> origin/master
  origin/backport-master                       6f9184a29 Merge branch
'maint' into backport-master
  origin/dan-session-errors                    6d28c79cc ob: python:
catch errors in sessions
  origin/emacs-sync                            dd9105d17 Merge branch
'maint' into emacs-sync
  origin/emacs-sync-9.3.8                      f7dc6be22 Backport
commit 78eacf31e from Emacs
  origin/file-header                           d234a9973 ob-R: Delete
duplicated function
  origin/file-header-alt-ui                    d1c50e737 working
  origin/fix-doc                               c34121c60 Documentation fix
  origin/hide-table-column                     9655ba966 org-table:
Obey <c> cookie when aligning a table
  origin/km/from-emacs-master                  0f7fcc9de Backport
commit 6a3920c07 from Emacs
  origin/ledger                                bb1241026 babel: Use
common evaluation mechanism for ledger
  origin/maint                                 dcc3a84a9 keys:
Re-instate some RET bindings
  origin/maint-quotes                          08ee6c60d Backport
commit 26bd978 from Emacs master branch
  origin/master                                d70f28067 org-macs:
Allow for nil ffap-url-regexp
  origin/minted                                aa86ce564 org-latex.el:
minor docstring clean up.
  origin/next                                  655c08dcc org-clock:
Fix failing tests
  origin/org-7.8.50                            2ddc9b60b Remove
org-ascii, org-html, org-latex and org-odt
  origin/org-tempo                             20afd5b44 ;
org-tempo.el: add a missing require
  origin/scratch/sm/agenda-lexical             1fd7d4865 Merge branch
'master' into scratch/sm/agenda-lexical
  origin/stow-design                           036b876f3 Bugfix:
Disable typecheck if support is missing.
  origin/taskjuggler-export                    caed2af32 Merge branch
'master' into taskjuggler-export
  origin/tehom-html-export-refactor-build-link 76230e9f8 Re-added code
to inline descriptions as images
  origin/tehom-master                          413e6b4ee Add handling
of blockquote and output formats that must be flowed.
  origin/top-properties                        c81bc4d9c Update custom
properties handling
  origin/wip                                   8fd176ee7 Merge branch
'maint' into wip
  origin/wip-agenda-speedup                    f5bc563a6 org-agenda:
Optimize log data processing
  origin/wip-cite                              5af597836 org-element: Tiny fix
  origin/wip-cite-awe                          cb0085e07 WIP support
for exporting citations
  origin/wip-cite-new                          b373a2f54 oc-csl:
Implement `csl' citation processor
  origin/wip-lint                              406cfbf2a org-element:
Fix parsing recursive babel calls
  origin/wip-sitemap                           1a12f3854 ox-publish:
Remove :sitemap-sans-extension

> Your "local" branch has "rebase" setting, I am unsure concerning its precise meaning. I usually do not set any remote for local branches and explicitly specify target commit every time I need to rebase them.

i followed instructions from org manual or similar long ago and it
worked perfectly.  it auto-rebases my patches every time i upgrade org
which is what i want.  that is, i am in branch local, and i pull, and
git sticks the latest changes from maint on top of local for me, then
sticks my patches on top of that for me.  then i just make.  i want to
continue doing all of this.  i don't want to change that workflow if
possible.  i know how to deal with it after many years of use.  i am
limited in computer use.

i think that you have different workflow from me and more knowledge of
git, so this is why it is confusing for me.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com