* links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-23 19:36 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-05-23 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Apropos of a recent thread, how do you get links to show in Org files
when they are part of comments?  They take on comment face at present,
making it not possible to determine that they are comments.

Same thing with footnotes.

Thanks,

Samuel

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-23 19:36 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-05-23 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 5/23/12, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> making it not possible to determine that they are comments.

s/comments/links/

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-23 19:39 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-23 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Apropos of a recent thread, how do you get links to show in Org files
> when they are part of comments?  They take on comment face at present,
> making it not possible to determine that they are comments.
>
> Same thing with footnotes.

I'm not sure to understand the question. But, there is nothing inside
comments. No link, no footnote.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-23 20:05   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-05-23 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

When I comment something that has a link, the link stops being in link face.

When I kill a link and yank it into a footnote, the link stops being
in link face.

I want that not to happen if possible.

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-23 20:05     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-23 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> When I comment something that has a link, the link stops being in link
> face.

That's normal. If it's commented, the link shouldn't be recognized
anymore (but I suppose it sill is)

> When I kill a link and yank it into a footnote, the link stops being
> in link face.

That's another problem. Probably a bug, although a minor one.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-23 20:06     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-05-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Click on a link in a comment and you get surprised.

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-25  0:56       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-05-25  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 5/23/12, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's normal. If it's commented, the link shouldn't be recognized
> anymore (but I suppose it sill is)

For some people (not necessarily you) it would be nice to know that
there is a link there.

>> When I kill a link and yank it into a footnote, the link stops being
>> in link face.
>
> That's another problem. Probably a bug, although a minor one.

If you think it's ordinary text and you RET on it to insert a newline,
you end up following the link.  That is one example of how it can be a
surprise.

A similar thing happens, by the way, with point near but not on the
colored part of a link, but that is not a footnote or comment issue,
just a link issue.

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-05-25 17:21         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-25 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 5/23/12, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's normal. If it's commented, the link shouldn't be recognized
>> anymore (but I suppose it sill is)
>
> For some people (not necessarily you) it would be nice to know that
> there is a link there.

We probably are misunderstanding each other.

I am saying that "# [[http://orgmode.org][Org mode]]" should appear
as-is and not as "# Orgmode" because nothing in a comment should be
interpreted.

In other words, there shouldn't be links in comments, nor anything
else.

So, I think the fix should be to _not_ fontify a "link" in a comment in
the first place.

I hope my point is clearer now.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: links in comments and footnotes
@ 2012-06-01  3:08           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2012-06-01  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 5/25/12, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am saying that "# [[http://orgmode.org][Org mode]]" should appear
> as-is and not as "# Orgmode" because nothing in a comment should be
> interpreted.

That's a good solution also.  Will make wrapping happen, of course.

I still think it would be good to color links in footnotes if possible.

Thanks for clarifying.

Samuel