* Re: customizing Org for legibility [agenda]
@ 2020-02-01 21:14 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-02-01 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Texas Cyberthal, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

hi d,

On 2/1/20, Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> wrote:
> I think you can configure most faces as you wish. For this, I have found
> the key "C-u C-x =" (which run what-cursor-position with the DETAILED
> argument enabled) very useful - among other things, it shows the face which
> is applied at the point under the cursor. Based on that, you can know which
> face you need to customize. For example, when running it on an agenda
> header line, I see the following:

what i mean by header line is not the whole line in the agenda, but
the stuff that is after the stars in the headline in the outline,
which appears on the right in the agenda.

faces for the /whole line/ in the agenda are indeed settable.  but
that is not what i am referring to.

/most/ of the columns in the whole agenda line must be fixed pitch,
because they have to line up.  so currently everything is fixed pitch.
if you set the whole line to variable, nothing will line up.

the header on the right, however, can be variable.  that is what i am
proposing [can't code it].

[niggle: depending on your tag column setting, there might be issues
with tags, but those issues also obtain in the outline.  which you
have set to variable, then fix tags by setting them to 0.  this can
also be done in the agenda, so it is not unique to agenda.]

[niggle: todo kw has a variable that iirc controls whether that is to
be a column, so that should be settable also.  for myself i would
choose variable as i don't need todo kw in a column, but some might
want them fixed so they can be in a column.]

> also, i would remove the second column, which seems not to do anything.

this appears to be hardcoded.  dunno what its purpose is.

>> also, i removed colons from some columns in the agenda and think it
>> looks better.  also i aligned all items.  also, i made bare active
>> tses use a leader.  also i made everything more compact except
>> categories which i widened.  also, i removed [xd.] in leaders.
>>

> I would be interested to learn how to make these customizations.

i did most of them by setting the user leader variables.
org-agenda-deadline-leader etc.

bare active was a trivial fix to a string in the org code.  i just
searched for it and got lucky.  i can send the patch.  this also
allowed aligning those with everything else.  i cannot sign with fsf
and don't know if contributions accumulate.

another possible change is ... bastien wanted separate email headers
so i will suggest in one.

cheers

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-01 21:14 UTC | newest]