* fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-02 13:56 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-02 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Please consider the following example

  - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
    (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf:   reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.

I would like to have a filling function which would result in the
following paragraph:

  - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf (FRVF
    UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR) r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr
    ceboyrznf: reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe ry
    cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe, qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr
    yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.

But that seems not possible with the current filling function, because I
obtain

    Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
    (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
    r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf:   reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.

Most like this has to do with the indent-region function, but I would
like to know whether there is an easy solution to the problem presented.

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-02 14:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-02-02 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Please consider the following example
>
>   - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
>     (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
> r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf:   reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
> ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
> qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.
>
> I would like to have a filling function which would result in the
> following paragraph:
>
>   - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf (FRVF
>     UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR) r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr
>     ceboyrznf: reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe ry
>     cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe, qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr
>     yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.
>

> But that seems not possible with the current filling function, because I
> obtain
>
>     Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
>     (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
>     r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf:   reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
> ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
> qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.
>
> Most like this has to do with the indent-region function, but I would
> like to know whether there is an easy solution to the problem
> presented.

You need to put the paragraph after the list item within the item, with,
e.g., C-x r o, then fill the item.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-02 16:22   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-02 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Hello,
   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > You need to put the paragraph after the list item within the item, with,
   > e.g., C-x r o, then fill the item.

I am sorry but I don't understand your instructions.

Given

    - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
    (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
    r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf:   reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
    ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
    qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.

What I am supposed to do now?
Where shall I put the cursor?
Where I am supposed to run C-x r o?

I tried various possibilities non worked. I switched to
indented-text-mode, then filling sort of worked but not completely.

* Re: fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-02 17:21     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-02-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I am sorry but I don't understand your instructions.
>
> Given
>
>     - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
>     (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
>     r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf:   reebe eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
>     ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
>     qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.
>
> What I am supposed to do now?
> Where shall I put the cursor?
> Where I am supposed to run C-x r o?

You are supposed to create a 2 characters wide rectangle anywhere before
the text. Using `open-rectangle' (C-x r o), you will shift the text
inside the item. Then Org can properly fill it.

> I tried various possibilities non worked. I switched to
> indented-text-mode, then filling sort of worked but not completely.

I don't know what is indented-text-mode.

* Re: fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-02 17:49       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Nicolas" == Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

   > Hello,
   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   >> I am sorry but I don't understand your instructions.
   >>
   >> Given
   >>
   >> - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
   >> (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
   >> r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf: reebe
   >> eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
   >> ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
   >> qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.
   >>
   >> What I am supposed to do now?
   >> Where shall I put the cursor?
   >> Where I am supposed to run C-x r o?

   > You are supposed to create a 2 characters wide rectangle anywhere before
   > the text. Using `open-rectangle' (C-x r o), you will shift the text
   > inside the item. Then Org can properly fill it.

I am sorry but it does not work.

- Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
  ^ here is the cursor symbolically, I run C-x r o
(FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf: reebe
eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.

Result is

  - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
(FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf: reebe
eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.

Now filling does not work neither.

Put the cursor under (FRVF and run C-x r o nothing happens save the
curse gets up, filling does not work.

Most likely I totally misunderstand your instructions.

* Re: fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-02 17:59         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-02-02 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>    > Hello,
>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>    >> I am sorry but I don't understand your instructions.
>    >>
>    >> Given
>    >>
>    >> - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
>    >> (FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
>    >> r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf: reebe
>    >> eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
>    >> ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
>    >> qrevinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.
>    >>
>    >> What I am supposed to do now?
>    >> Where shall I put the cursor?
>    >> Where I am supposed to run C-x r o?
>
>    > You are supposed to create a 2 characters wide rectangle anywhere before
>    > the text. Using `open-rectangle' (C-x r o), you will shift the text
>    > inside the item. Then Org can properly fill it.
>
> I am sorry but it does not work.

I think you need to read (info "(org) Plain lists"), in particular third
paragraph.

Anyway, let me try again. [X] are corners of the rectangle selection,
i.e., the point and mark,

  - Rzcrmnzbf pba Pnyphyb Ahzrevpb. FBYNZRAGR grarzbf qbf frznanf
  [X](FRVF UBENF RKNPGNZRAGR)
  r vzcnegvzbf yb arprfnevb cnen unpre yn ubwn qr ceboyrznf: reebe
  eryngvib l reebe nofbyhgb, ncebkvznpvba cbe
  ry cbyvabzvb qr Gnlybe,
  qr[X]evinpvba r vagrtenpvba ahzéevpn, cbyvabzvb qr yntenatr, zrgbqb qr rhyre cnen RQBf.

Then, C-x r o.

Your text moves into the item.

Then M-q.

* Re: fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-03  9:10           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-02-03  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > I think you need to read (info "(org) Plain lists"), in particular third
   > paragraph.

   > Anyway, let me try again. [X] are corners of the rectangle selection,
   > i.e., the point and mark,

Thanks very much, that worked as expected. Sorry for the hassle.

* Re: fill text (indent) in lists
@ 2017-02-03 20:20           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2017-02-03 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

i use filladapt for things org's and emacs's filling mechanisms do not
do.  it usually does exactly what i want, but i recall i had to change
an alist.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.
  UPDATE 2016-10: home, but not fully free