From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Can I "multi-include" a subtree?
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 13:57:02 -0700	[thread overview]

stating the obvious: org typically stores a forest [files] of trees of
nodes.  some things you want to put into it are best expressed more
generally than with trees.  i call it [boring name] the tree problem.

there are a bunch of existing sort-of solutions, but to me the best is
linking [as you mentioned], using org-id.  although that only links to
entries, and it requires following links.  one entry becomes
canonical.  you have to set metadata for the linking node.

there are solutions not implemented that could be better that have
been talked about on the mailng list, but they still have the issues
of following links or other issues.

duplication is out the window because dry.

what you seem to want seems to require a feature in emacs in which you
have virtual includable regions.  this can be done to a large degree
at the buffer level, but not at the region level.

that would open up some interesting possibilities, maybe including
inline multi-mode stuff.  and it would fix your problem.  you could
maybe color the one that is in the file itself differently, or keep
all looking equal status to the user.

i think there has been discussion on the mailing list and probalby on
emacs-devel recently about an idea similar to this.  it migth be teh
same as what you want.  not sure.

it goes by a different name.  smoevbody will chime in i hope.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html