* new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-10 18:49 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-10 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Surely this is pilot error someplace.

(org-export-to-buffer
          'html
          (get-buffer-create "test")
          nil
          t)

*** test
asasdf[fn::test]

*** output
asasdf<sup><a id="fnr.1" name="fnr.1" class="footref"

===

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is no hope without action.

* Re: new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-10 19:46 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-10 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Surely this is pilot error someplace.
>
> (org-export-to-buffer
>           'html
>           (get-buffer-create "test")
>           nil
>           t)

Beware, `org-export-to-buffer' expects a string as its second argument,
not a buffer. So:

  (org-export-to-buffer 'html "test" t nil t)

should be enough.

> *** test
> asasdf[fn::test]
>
> *** output
> asasdf<sup><a id="fnr.1" name="fnr.1" class="footref"

I assume you wonder why there's no footnote definition. That's because
this is a body-only export. Footnote definitions belong to the global
template, which is ignored when this option is active.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-10 19:54   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-10 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2/10/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Beware, `org-export-to-buffer' expects a string as its second argument,

Will fix thanks.

> I assume you wonder why there's no footnote definition. That's because
> this is a body-only export. Footnote definitions belong to the global
> template, which is ignored when this option is active.

Why would you not want footnote definitions in a subtree body only export?

I have all of my blog posts as subtrees in a single file.  I want to
export body only just as in the old exporter and have everything work.

I cannot export HTML header, because Blogger already has its own.

How do I export the subtrees with footnotes?

Thanks.

Samuel

@ 2013-02-10 22:10     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-10 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 2/10/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I assume you wonder why there's no footnote definition. That's because
>> this is a body-only export. Footnote definitions belong to the global
>> template, which is ignored when this option is active.
>
> Why would you not want footnote definitions in a subtree body only
> export?

I didn't say I didn't want them in. I was merely describing facts.

> I have all of my blog posts as subtrees in a single file.  I want to
> export body only just as in the old exporter and have everything work.
>
> I cannot export HTML header, because Blogger already has its own.
>
> How do I export the subtrees with footnotes?

That's an interesting question.

For now, you can't, but that's a problem. I think the framework needs
a step before the template function, in order to add some persistent
data, even in case of a body-only export.

Perhaps an :inner-template filter, or a `body' transcoding function.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-10 22:28       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-10 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2/10/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> For now, you can't, but that's a problem. I think the framework needs
> a step before the template function, in order to add some persistent
> data, even in case of a body-only export.

Thank you for the answer.

Is there a way to run the old exporter then?

I'd hate to have to downgrade Org for an indefinite period of time
just to get footnotes back.

Samuel

@ 2013-02-11  7:06         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-11  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 2/10/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For now, you can't, but that's a problem. I think the framework needs
>> a step before the template function, in order to add some persistent
>> data, even in case of a body-only export.
>
> Thank you for the answer.
>
> Is there a way to run the old exporter then?
>
> I'd hate to have to downgrade Org for an indefinite period of time
> just to get footnotes back.

Of course. Just switch to "maint" branch. It will use old export
framework until 8.0 is out. Then you will have to keep using 7.9 /ad
vitam aeternam/.

Hopefully, fixing the problem is a matter of days, if not hours. I think
I'm going to split "template" in "inner-template" and "outer-template",
the sole difference being that "inner-template" will always be applied,
whereas "outer-template" will stack only unless exporting to body-only.

Footnotes in HTML export should go in "inner-template".

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-11 21:28 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-11 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Surely this is pilot error someplace.
>
> (org-export-to-buffer
>           'html
>           (get-buffer-create "test")
>           nil
>           t)
>
> *** test
> asasdf[fn::test]
>
> *** output
> asasdf<sup><a id="fnr.1" name="fnr.1" class="footref"

It should be fixed in master. Could you confirm it?

Thank you for reporting the bug.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-12 18:49   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-12 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2/11/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> It should be fixed in master. Could you confirm it?

Thank you.  Confirmed that footnotes are included in HTML now.

They are missing from plain text export.

In HTML, how do you control the hlevel of the footnotes header?

Also, there is a formatting issue with footnotes.  Here they are in w3m:

===

^ They became popular in the silence=death era.
1
  This image by Jock Cooper is licensed under a Creative
^ Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States
2 License.

^ I didn't look up the types of self-similarity in
3 fractals.

  This image is protected by a True Scottish copyright:
^ Creative Commons, Attribution — Noncommercial —
4 Share-alike 2.5 UK: Scotland.

^ Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
5
^ "Cur CUD brih sure" I ween.
6

===

A slightly different formatting issue occurs in Firefox by default,
but copy and paste might not depict it.

===

Thanks.

Samuel

@ 2013-02-13 13:24     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-13 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Thank you.  Confirmed that footnotes are included in HTML now.
>
> They are missing from plain text export.

Fixed too.

> In HTML, how do you control the hlevel of the footnotes header?

See `org-html-footnotes-section'.

> Also, there is a formatting issue with footnotes.  Here they are in w3m:
>
> ===
>
> ^ They became popular in the silence=death era.
> 1
>   This image by Jock Cooper is licensed under a Creative
> ^ Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States
> 2 License.
>
> ^ I didn't look up the types of self-similarity in
> 3 fractals.
>
>   This image is protected by a True Scottish copyright:
> ^ Creative Commons, Attribution — Noncommercial —
> 4 Share-alike 2.5 UK: Scotland.
>
> ^ Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
> 5
> ^ "Cur CUD brih sure" I ween.
> 6
>
> ===
>
> A slightly different formatting issue occurs in Firefox by default,
> but copy and paste might not depict it.

I cannot help you much at the moment, as I don't know well the HTML
back-end and I'm not sure what a correct fix for this would be.

Anyway, if you send the correct HTML that should be generated, I will
fix it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-16 22:03       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-16 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2/13/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>> They are missing from plain text export.
>
> Fixed too.

Thank you.

>> In HTML, how do you control the hlevel of the footnotes header?
>
> See `org-html-footnotes-section'.

That looks good.

Given that it includes things that might change in future versions of
Org, do you think it might be good to separate out the hlevel so that
users don't customize and then find that bugs are introduced because
their customization is out of date?

>> Also, there is a formatting issue with footnotes.  Here they are in w3m:

> I cannot help you much at the moment, as I don't know well the HTML
> back-end and I'm not sure what a correct fix for this would be.
>
> Anyway, if you send the correct HTML that should be generated, I will
> fix it.

No idea.

Samuel

@ 2013-02-18 20:09         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-18 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Given that it includes things that might change in future versions of
> Org, do you think it might be good to separate out the hlevel so that
> users don't customize and then find that bugs are introduced because
> their customization is out of date?

I'm not very fond of adding too many variables. I think it is acceptable
in its current state.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: new exporter fails to output footnotes?
@ 2013-02-27 23:15       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-27 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

We were talking about the HTML for footnote definitions.

On 2/13/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, if you send the correct HTML that should be generated, I will
> fix it.

Probably all that needs to be done is to not use a table.  I tested this by

I tested it in Firefox and w3m.

Samuel

@ 2013-02-27 23:16         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-02-27 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2/27/13, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tested it in Firefox and w3m.

It solves the problem and it seems reasonably good to me.

Samuel