* bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2014-07-03 19:34 Samuel Wales
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-07-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

in maint, isearch very often puts ... at the top of the window.  is
this related to recent ellipsis bugs?

thanks.

samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2014-07-27 14:43 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> in maint, isearch very often puts ... at the top of the window.  is
> this related to recent ellipsis bugs?

This is related to the removal of an ill-thought fix for this very
same problem.  I suggest we live with it right now.

--
 Bastien

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2014-07-28 22:27   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-07-28 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 7/27/14, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>> in maint, isearch very often puts ... at the top of the window.  is
>> this related to recent ellipsis bugs?
>
> This is related to the removal of an ill-thought fix for this very
> same problem.  I suggest we live with it right now.

is this fixed in master?  even when full screen and one window per
frame, i only have a few lines, so taking one away with pointless
ellipsis is significant.  also, it seems to elide file local
variables.  it is a large monitor, but large fonts.  i usually find
myself reverting the buffer to get rid of the ellipses.

thanks.

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2014-07-29 14:57     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-29 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> is this fixed in master?

No.  I can't make this a priority now, because there are more
important issues than this one, although I understand why it's
important for you.

On my watch list,

--
 Bastien

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2014-07-29 15:02 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-07-29 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> in maint, isearch very often puts ... at the top of the window.  is
> this related to recent ellipsis bugs?

If you have a reproducible recipe, it would be very nice !

TIA,

--
Nico.

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2014-08-05 10:14   ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-08-05 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> in maint, isearch very often puts ... at the top of the window.  is
>> this related to recent ellipsis bugs?
>
> If you have a reproducible recipe, it would be very nice !

I think I have something -- not with isearch but certainly related.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if this should be considered an emacs bug or
if it should be fixed in Outline or in Org, so I'll simply ask about it.
I did it on bug#18197.

--
Nico.

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2014-11-30  0:11   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-11-30  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

hi nicolas,

you asked for a reproducible recipe.  here it is.  i have limited
vertical real estate so i hope this can be fixed!  is it an emacs bug
or an org bug?

run this (after substituting in where you keep org maint) and search
for "lightly org":

thanks.

samuel

=== call

emacs -Q --geometry -0+0 --geometry 80x30 --eval '(setq load-path
(append (list    (substitute-in-file-name "$delorgsrc/lisp")
(substitute-in-file-name "$delorgsrc/contrib/lisp")) load-path))'
bug-isearch.org

===

here is the org file to use:

=== bug-isearch.org
* NAKA lorem
*** REF lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
lorem
*** NAKA lorem
***** reproduce isearch bug
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf asdfasfdasdfasdfasdf
search for lightly org
===

all those asdf lines should be concatenated into a single line in case
gmail corrupted it.

@ 2015-01-17  9:04     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-01-17  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Nicolas Richard, emacs-orgmode

> run this (after substituting in where you keep org maint) and search
> for "lightly org":
>
> thanks.
>
> samuel
>
> === call
>
> emacs -Q --geometry -0+0 --geometry 80x30 --eval '(setq load-path
> (append (list    (substitute-in-file-name "$delorgsrc/lisp")
> (substitute-in-file-name "$delorgsrc/contrib/lisp")) load-path))'
> bug-isearch.org
>
> ===
>
> here is the org file to use:
>
> === bug-isearch.org

FWIW, I cannot reproduce it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2015-01-17 19:47       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-01-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, Nicolas Richard, emacs-orgmode

i use large fonts.  perhaps you need to try smaller geometry or larger fonts?

@ 2015-01-17 20:21       ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-01-17 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Nicolas Richard, emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> run this (after substituting in where you keep org maint) and search
>> for "lightly org":
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> samuel
>>
>> === call
>>
>> emacs -Q --geometry -0+0 --geometry 80x30 --eval '(setq load-path
>> (append (list    (substitute-in-file-name "$delorgsrc/lisp")
>> (substitute-in-file-name "$delorgsrc/contrib/lisp")) load-path))'
>> bug-isearch.org
>>
>> ===
>>
>> here is the org file to use:
>>
>> === bug-isearch.org
>
> FWIW, I cannot reproduce it.

I retried and reproduced it with
emacs -Q -g 80x24+0+0 -L ~/sourcetrees/org-mode/lisp ~/tmp/bug-isearch.org

--
Nicolas Richard

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2015-01-17 20:24         ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-01-17 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:
> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>> FWIW, I cannot reproduce it.
>
> I retried and reproduced it with
> emacs -Q -g 80x24+0+0 -L ~/sourcetrees/org-mode/lisp
> ~/tmp/bug-isearch.org

Oops, my message went gone faster than I expected, sorry for its
brevity!

--
Nicolas Richard

* Re: bug: isearch puts ellipses at top of window
@ 2015-08-08 18:32 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-08-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 7/3/14, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> in maint, isearch very often puts ... at the top of the window.  is

8.3 seems to do this a little more.

however, i have found that running scroll-lock-next-line after the
isearch repairs the buggy ellipsis.

is there a hook i can use to do so as a silly but effective workaround?