* archiving speed [was Re: Tips on maintaining history in Org Mode]
@ 2021-03-01  4:22 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-03-01  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, David Masterson

thank you for your detaild reply.

more below.

On 2/28/21, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> details why). So, many org commands tend to lag on large archives.

that makes sense.  but why would appending to an archive as the result
of bulk archiving lag?  if the problem is large archive files, which
i'd bet is the case for a lot of users and not just me, then could org
in principle be changed so that all it does is append?  thus not lag?
like, build the entry in a temporary buffer?

as i see it, having more than one archive file per org file is good
for speed, but doesn't work in existing org, because iirc e.g. v A in
the agenda goes org agenda file -> corresponding archive file and will
miss the archive files that do not have a corresponding org file with
exactly the same basename sans extension.

i'd be ok with released org either allowing hte user to make
year-based archives by having all of org recognize them, or my just
append thing above.  maybe i am missing something.

> The lags can be solved in several ways:
> 1. Reduce the archive file size

this implies to me e.g. year-based archives, which would fail the v A
test iiuc.  thus needed extra code.

> 2. Use optimised folding mechanism [1] (this will speed up org-mode in
> general as well)

i look forward to this filtering down to maint.  :]  [i used to follow
master but too much for me now for health reasons.]

> 3. (untested) Put #+STARTUP: showeverything at the beginning of the
>    archives, so that nothing is going to be folded

good idea.  my included-by-agenda archive files do seem to be in
showeveryting mode already for some reason.  but perhaps not when bulk
archiving.

would it be a silly idea for an fr that org make this an option for
bulk archiving?  hmm or for archive files in general?

>> i will keep in mind disabling font lock in archive files.  any
>> suggested code for that?
>
> Note that it will mostly affect find-file performance. To disable

if so, then i figure it's a one-time thing per file so no big deal.
but thanks for hte font lock stuff i didnt' know about.

> Sorry, the config is actually not yet formatted for public use. You can
> search for the code block containing "defun org-archive--compute-location".

firefox find does not seem to find it.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.