* [bug] org-refile makes ido think that some candidates are directories
@ 2013-08-28  1:16 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-08-28  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

org-refile makes ido think that every entry that is in the
current buffer is a directory, while every entry that is
in another buffer is a file.

===

You can confirm by loading ido and doing this:

  (setq org-refile-use-outline-path t)
  (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
  (setq org-completion-use-ido t)

Now do org-refile and look at the candidate list.  Please
note the addition of the filename at the end of the entries
that are not in the current buffer, and probably a different
font.  You can use the ido keys for navigating directories,
and they will only go to the entries in the current buffer.

===

The relevant part of org.el seems to be this, but I do not
understand it:

    (setq answ (funcall cfunc prompt tbl nil (not new-nodes)
			nil 'org-refile-history (or cdef (car org-refile-history))))

This is FAR beyond my ability to debug, but I suspect
that the artificial distinction between the current buffer
and other buffers, treating one as a directory and the other
as a file, might be related to several long-standing, subtle
but extremely annoying bugs involving the default and
history.  But I could be wrong about that.

For example, if you previously refiled, there is always an
extra entry that has no marker and errors if you select it,
and it is often the default candidate :(.  And it is
impossible to narrow to a subtree of the default subtree :(.
I have previously reported at least one of these bugs.

===

In any case, IMO, ido should treat all olpaths as if they
were files.  Can anybody help track this down?

Thanks.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.