* [ascii] box
@ 2013-04-09 21:28 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-04-09 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ASCII boxes for blocks might be more convenient for the
reader if they do not have any characters to the left of the
code.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun code-for-copy-and-paste ()
    (makes newcomer use rectangle or unboxing commands :())
#+END_SRC

Maybe output like this instead:

,----------
code
`----------

Thanks.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY
can get it.  There is NO hope without action.  This means YOU.

* Re: [ascii] box
@ 2013-04-09 22:42 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-04-09 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> ASCII boxes for blocks might be more convenient for the
> reader if they do not have any characters to the left of the
> code.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (defun code-for-copy-and-paste ()
>     (makes newcomer use rectangle or unboxing commands :())
> #+END_SRC
>
> Maybe output like this instead:
>
> ,----------
> code
> `----------

I use message-mark-inserted-region to mark code in email:

#+name: r-with-ggplot2
#+begin_src R :results output graphics :var tbl=foo :file foo-output.png
:width 400 :height 300
  library(ggplot2)
  res <- ggplot(tbl, aes(a_foo_var))
  res + geom_histogram(aes(y=..density..)) +
  geom_density(weight=2) + xlab("A foo variable")
#+end_src

That allows easy cut-and-paste. I use boxquote-region for documentation etc
that I don't expect the reader to cut and paste.

They are bound to C-c m and C-c q resp. using this initialization code:

(define-key mode-specific-map [?q] 'boxquote-region)
(define-key mode-specific-map [?m] 'message-mark-inserted-region)

Nick

* Re: [ascii] box
@ 2013-04-09 23:02   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-04-09 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Nick,

Yes, those are good.  I like the style.  However, in Org, the same
document can be used for more than one backend, so it is more
convenient to export to ASCII.  If a lot of people use it, a lot of
newcomers will have to manually delete characters.

Samuel

@ 2013-04-09 23:03   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-09 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> I use message-mark-inserted-region to mark code in email:

> #+name: r-with-ggplot2
> #+begin_src R :results output graphics :var tbl=foo :file foo-output.png
> :width 400 :height 300
>   library(ggplot2)
>   res <- ggplot(tbl, aes(a_foo_var))
>   res + geom_histogram(aes(y=..density..)) +
>   geom_density(weight=2) + xlab("A foo variable")
> #+end_src
>
> That allows easy cut-and-paste. I use boxquote-region for documentation etc
> that I don't expect the reader to cut and paste.
>
> They are bound to C-c m and C-c q resp. using this initialization code:

> (define-key mode-specific-map [?q] 'boxquote-region)
> (define-key mode-specific-map [?m] 'message-mark-inserted-region)

Cool, I've seen this sometimes but did not know how its produced. And
although I like the looks of boxquoted regions better, they are really
not so good for URLs, keybindings for .emacs and other stuff that will be
copied.

--
cheers,
Thorsten