* org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-05 22:45 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-05-05 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I search for a {regexp}, using the agenda, with restriction set
to the current file, I get entries that contain matching text in
ordinary lines and entries that contain matching text in commented
lines.  This is desired.

However, the COMMENT keyword on a headline stops results from showing.
 This is not desired.  It is also inconsistent with commented lines.

I strongly prefer for all matches to show up, whether commented or
not.  However, in principle there could be an option to not match
anything that is commented.  If such an option is desired, however, I
suggest the safer value of nil as a default.

Thanks.

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

* Re: org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-07 10:36 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-05-07 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

> However, the COMMENT keyword on a headline stops results from showing.
>  This is not desired.  It is also inconsistent with commented lines.
>
> I strongly prefer for all matches to show up, whether commented or
> not.  However, in principle there could be an option to not match
> anything that is commented.  If such an option is desired, however, I
> suggest the safer value of nil as a default.

There is such an option:

  (setq org-agenda-skip-comment-trees nil)

It defaults to `t' which I think is a good default.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-07 12:32   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-07 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Bastien wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> However, the COMMENT keyword on a headline stops results from showing.
>>  This is not desired.  It is also inconsistent with commented lines.
>>
>> I strongly prefer for all matches to show up, whether commented or
>> not.  However, in principle there could be an option to not match
>> anything that is commented.  If such an option is desired, however, I
>> suggest the safer value of nil as a default.
>
> There is such an option:
>
>   (setq org-agenda-skip-comment-trees nil)
>
> It defaults to `t' which I think is a good default.

Isn't here the problem that the OP makes a difference between "agenda
generation" and "results for a search". I guess he agrees COMMENTed trees
should not participate in agendas, but well in regexp searches.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-07 12:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-05-07 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Isn't here the problem that the OP makes a difference between "agenda
> generation" and "results for a search". I guess he agrees COMMENTed trees
> should not participate in agendas, but well in regexp searches.

But Samuel *is* using the agenda, no?

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-07 13:31       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-07 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

On 7 mei 2013, at 14:39, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> "Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
> writes:
>
>> Isn't here the problem that the OP makes a difference between "agenda
>> generation" and "results for a search". I guess he agrees COMMENTed trees
>> should not participate in agendas, but well in regexp searches.
>
> But Samuel *is* using the agenda, no?

And then he can use a custom command to define a search view wich modified the setting of this variable.

- Carsten

* Re: org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-07 13:35       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-07 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Bastien wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Isn't here the problem that the OP makes a difference between "agenda
>> generation" and "results for a search". I guess he agrees COMMENTed trees
>> should not participate in agendas, but well in regexp searches.
>
> But Samuel *is* using the agenda, no?

I understand from his description:

>>> When I search for a {regexp}, using the agenda, with restriction set to
>>> the current file, I get entries that contain matching text in ordinary
>>> lines and entries that contain matching text in commented lines. This is
>>> desired.

that he's using "C-c a < s" to make his search.

I understand, maybe wrongly though, that he agrees not seeing COMMENTed
headlines in "C-c a a", but not in "C-c a s" results. He'll tell us...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-07 18:22         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-05-07 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

On 5/7/13, Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> wrote:
> I understand, maybe wrongly though, that he agrees not seeing COMMENTed
> headlines in "C-c a a", but not in "C-c a s" results. He'll tell us...

Yes, that is correct, thank you.  (There is also the apparent
inconsistency between commented subtrees and "# " comments.)

I use a mixture of custom and built-in commands, and direct calls to
org-search-view, so it is not clear how I will cover all needed cases
conveniently, but I now realize that it is possible.

I wasn't aware of the variable.  Thanks to Bastien for that and
Carsten for the custom let.

Ideally, the variable would allow a list of search types (along the
lines of org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance).  I wonder if that would make
sense?

@ 2013-05-07 20:12           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-05-07 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

> Ideally, the variable would allow a list of search types (along the
> lines of org-agenda-use-tag-inheritance).  I wonder if that would make
> sense?

IMHO this would be too much, since the let-binding solution is there
already.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-search-view skips over commented subtrees
@ 2013-05-07 22:14             ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2013-05-07 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

On 5/7/13, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> IMHO this would be too much, since the let-binding solution is there
> already.

I won't object to whatever decision is made, but it made me curious:
is it not there for inheritance?

This raises another question.  Is it possible to do a let for each of
the built-in views?

Also, is it possible to do a let for the view that you get when you
RET on a timestamp?

@ 2013-05-10  6:39               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-10  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Bastien, Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

On 8.5.2013, at 00:14, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bastien,
>
> On 5/7/13, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>> IMHO this would be too much, since the let-binding solution is there
>> already.
>
> I won't object to whatever decision is made, but it made me curious:
> is it not there for inheritance?
>
> This raises another question.  Is it possible to do a let for each of
> the built-in views?

Yes, by creating a custom view using the same keys as the built-in view.

> Also, is it possible to do a let for the view that you get when you
> RET on a timestamp?

No, this is currently not possible.

- Carsten