* org-sort-entries sorting by top-level with first entry at bob
@ 2020-10-30 15:04 Gustavo Barros
From: Gustavo Barros @ 2020-10-30 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

`org-sort-entries' provides no easy way to sort by top-level when the
first entry is at the beginning of buffer.  This is true for both
interactive and non-interactive uses of the function, but a little more
inconvenient in the latter case.

Indeed, `org-sort-entries', when deciding what to sort, first tests for
`org-region-active-p', then `org-at-heading-p' (or if after a heading),
failing those tests, it falls back to top-level sorting.  However, if
the first heading is at the beginning of buffer and we want to sort by
top-level, we'll never get to the fall back case, because
`org-at-heading-p' will return non-nil, and the children of the first
entry will be sorted instead.

Not an ECM, just an use case with the situation at hand.  Consider a
buffer with contents:

#+begin_src org
,* B Foo
,** B Baz
,** A Foo
,* A Bar
#+end_src

How to sort by top-level?

The currently existing alternative is to `mark-whole-buffer', and let
`org-sort-entries' sort by region.  While this is reasonable in the
interactive case, it is less so if `org-sort-entries' is being called in
code.  Using `mark-whole-buffer' in your code will grant you a nice
compiler warning and pretending you don't use it by doing the same thing
yourself is explicitly advised against in its docstring: "it is usually
a mistake for a Lisp function to use any subroutine that uses or sets
the mark".  Behind the scenes, Org is using `use-region-p', which means
the region must not only exist but transient-mark-mode must be on and
the mark must be active.  It can be made to work, of course, but it is
clearly less than ideal.  Either way, currently the only way to ensure
that sorting is done by top-level when you don't know whether there is
something before the first heading (including possible narrowing) is to
rely on the region case.

What to do with it is somewhat tricky, though.  My first thought was to
test if we are actually looking at a heading regexp, and sort on the
heading's level in this case.  But, on second thought, I believe this is
not a good idea, because it will conflict with current and expected
behavior for speed-keys, in particular.  Perhaps test if point is at
beginning of buffer, and handle this case specially?

Best regards,
Gustavo.

* Re: org-sort-entries sorting by top-level with first entry at bob
@ 2020-10-30 20:43 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-10-30 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustavo Barros; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

i always have everyting under a top level, so taht files are trees not
forests and org can work treeishly even at toplevel.  but to not use
the mark, typically you supply point-min and point-max to some
function.  major changes to o-s-r migth not be needed, merely that.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: org-sort-entries sorting by top-level with first entry at bob
@ 2020-10-30 20:59   ` Gustavo Barros
From: Gustavo Barros @ 2020-10-30 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 17:43, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> i always have everyting under a top level, so taht files are trees not
> forests and org can work treeishly even at toplevel.

This would be a workaround, not a solution.  Is it a formal requirement
of Org that files must be kept in this form?

> but to not use
> the mark, typically you supply point-min and point-max to some
> function.

`org-sort-entries' does not take beg/end as arguments, it uses the
active region, as reported.

@ 2020-10-30 21:07     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-10-30 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustavo Barros; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

yes, you understood my points.  if you already understood them and
they are not useful to you, then please disregard them.