This is a bug that started with org-9.6, and has persisted up until now. I have stayed with org-9.5.5 waiting until this is resolved, but it has not as of yet. What happens is, for certain org templates that I run, the buffer simply freezes and displays a message: clipboard pasted as level 2 subtree'. Emacs then becomes unresponsive. All I can do is force quit and restart emacs. All of my templates worked perfectly up until 9.5.5, and most of them still work. It is only with 4 or 5 of them that cause this issue. I do not think it is a syntax issue, as they worked before, but has any syntax for defining org templates changed with the 9.6.x releases?