* org-babel functions for Io evaluation
@ 2012-01-21 12:59 Andrzej Lichnerowicz
From: Andrzej Lichnerowicz @ 2012-01-21 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello list.

Attached file (also available at https://gist.github.com/1652684),
implements org-babel evaluation functions for Io language
(http://iolanguage.org). It's not yet fully functional (no value
results, and session support) as I'm still learning org-mode from
developer perspective, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to
contribute it.

Best regards,
Andrzej

[-- Attachment #2: ob-io.el --]
[-- Type: text/x-emacs-lisp, Size: 3759 bytes --]

;;; ob-io.el --- org-babel functions for Io evaluation

;; Copyright (C) Andrzej Lichnerowicz

;; Author: Andrzej Lichnerowicz
;; Homepage: http://orgmode.org
;; Version: 0.01

;;; License:

;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
;; any later version.
;;
;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;
;; along with GNU Emacs; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the
;; Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor,
;; Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

;;; Commentary:
;; Currently only supports the external execution. No session support yet.
;; :results output -- runs in scripting mode
;; :results output repl -- runs in repl mode

;;; Requirements:
;; - Io language :: http://iolanguage.org/
;; - Io major mode :: Can be installed from Io sources
;;  https://github.com/stevedekorte/io/blob/master/extras/SyntaxHighlighters/Emacs/io-mode.el

;;; Code:
(require 'ob)
(require 'ob-ref)
(require 'ob-comint)
(require 'ob-eval)

(add-to-list 'org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '("io" . "io"))
(defvar org-babel-default-header-args:io '())
(defvar org-babel-io-command "io"
  "Name of the command to use for executing Io code.")

(defun org-babel-execute:io (body params)
  "Execute a block of Io code with org-babel.  This function is
called by `org-babel-execute-src-block'"
  (message "executing Io source code block")
  (let* ((processed-params (org-babel-process-params params))
         (session (org-babel-io-initiate-session (first processed-params)))
         (vars (second processed-params))
         (result-params (third processed-params))
         (result-type (cdr (assoc :result-type params)))
         (full-body (org-babel-expand-body:generic
                     body params))
         (result (org-babel-io-evaluate
                  session full-body result-type result-params)))

    (org-babel-reassemble-table
     result
     (org-babel-pick-name
      (cdr (assoc :colname-names params)) (cdr (assoc :colnames params)))
     (org-babel-pick-name
      (cdr (assoc :rowname-names params)) (cdr (assoc :rownames params))))))

(defun org-babel-io-evaluate (session body &optional result-type result-params)
  "Evaluate BODY in external Io process.
If RESULT-TYPE equals 'output then return standard output as a string.
If RESULT-TYPE equals 'value then return the value of the last statement
in BODY as elisp."
  (when session (error "Sessions are not supported for Io. Yet."))
  (case result-type
    (output
     (if (member "repl" result-params)
         (org-babel-eval org-babel-io-command body)
       (let ((src-file (org-babel-temp-file "io-")))
         (progn (with-temp-file src-file (insert full-body))
                (org-babel-eval
                 (concat org-babel-io-command " " src-file) "")))))
    (value (error "Value result type is not supported for Io. Yet."))))

(defun org-babel-prep-session:io (session params)
  "Prepare SESSION according to the header arguments specified in PARAMS."
  (error "Sessions are not supported for Io. Yet."))

(defun org-babel-io-initiate-session (&optional session)
  "If there is not a current inferior-process-buffer in SESSION
then create.  Return the initialized session. Sessions are not
supported in Io."
  nil)

(provide 'ob-io)
;;; ob-io.el ends here

* Re: org-babel functions for Io evaluation
@ 2012-01-21 15:08 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-01-21 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andrzej Lichnerowicz <unjello@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list.
>
> Attached file (also available at https://gist.github.com/1652684),
> implements org-babel evaluation functions for Io language
> (http://iolanguage.org). It's not yet fully functional (no value
> results, and session support) as I'm still learning org-mode from
> developer perspective, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to
> contribute it.
>
> Best regards,
> Andrzej

I would like to try it but am kind of put off by the absense of any kind
of examples or tutorial on how it should be used. Usage example?

* Re: org-babel functions for Io evaluation
@ 2012-01-21 20:19 Andrzej Lichnerowicz
From: Andrzej Lichnerowicz @ 2012-01-21 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

2012/1/21  <emacs-orgmode-request@gnu.org>:
> I would like to try it but am kind of put off by the absense of any kind
> of examples or tutorial on how it should be used. Usage example?

You use it with source blocks:

#+begin_src io :results output
Object slotNames sort print
#+end_src

or

#+begin_src io :results output repl
Object slotNames sort
#+end_src

then C-c C-c on the block, to execute it. The block containing an
output will be appended right after.
Sorry, my bad, I thought that's self explanatory. Other language
extensions do not contain any usage examples, so I didn't put them
either.

--a.

* Re: org-babel functions for Io evaluation
@ 2012-01-23 18:03 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-01-23 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrzej Lichnerowicz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andrzej,

This looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Would you be willing to complete the FSF copyright assignment [1] so
that we can include this into the Org-mode core?  If that is not
possible then we could still distribute this in the contrib directory,
but inclusion in the core is definitely preferable.

Many Thanks,

Andrzej Lichnerowicz <unjello@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list.
>
> Attached file (also available at https://gist.github.com/1652684),
> implements org-babel evaluation functions for Io language
> (http://iolanguage.org). It's not yet fully functional (no value
> results, and session support) as I'm still learning org-mode from
> developer perspective, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to
> contribute it.
>
> Best regards,
> Andrzej

Footnotes: