Hi Nicolas, Thanks for your reply. But do you think it's possible to integrate it with other org-mode features that make use of the time stamps (such as the automatic overlays, calculation of total-time etc.)? If you want to know how I want to use it, this is my use-case: Use cases: -Using org-mode in a sports setting, often sets of an exercise take not more than for example 30 seconds. Rounding to minutes makes the registration useless. -Work efficiency improvement: sometimes it is handy to time minor small supporting tasks for a while (how much time does it take me to start an application and set everything ready to do major task X, etc), that you have to very often. Winning 30 seconds may not seem to be that much, but for a task you carry out in average lets say 2 times a day, this amounts to 365 minutes a year = 6 hours a year less work. If you can optimize 10 more of those tasks, well it is clear that you can add over a week of additional holiday that year. Regards, Koen van der Kruk 2015-03-15 9:20 GMT+01:00 Nicolas Goaziou : > Hello, > > Koen van der Kruk writes: > > > I am planning to add a new feature to orgmode, but I don't know if there > is > > already something like I described below. I am also wondering if someone > > could tell me how much time this is going to take. > > I have a little experience with orgmode and emacs, but still have to > learn > > a lot. > > > > Feature description: > > > > It currently is not possible to configure the timing format to the > > resolution you want. This project is about adding this feature to > org-mode. > > After implementation, it should be possible to chose any timing > resolution > > you want, ranging from precision to hours, quarters of an hour, seconds, > > milliseconds, etc. The only limitation should be the internal timing > > resolution of the operating system on which emacs runs. Moreover, all > > functions associated with time (such as automatic calculation of > durations > > etc. etc. overlays, should also continue to work correctly). Milliseconds > > may be overkill, but the point of this project is that it makes org-mode > > abstract from a fixed timing resolution, it should be fully > > configurable. > > I don't think timestamps to the millisecond or even the second belong to > the scope of this application. If you need this, I suggest to add > another syntax for it (e.g., like timers do), but I'm not convinced it > should go in core anyway. > > Real improvements over current timestamps would be to remove the limit > of internal timing resolution (e.g., be able to use time stamps before > 1970) and, even more importantly, support time zones. > > > Regards, > > -- > Nicolas Goaziou > -- Groeten, Koen