my solution to this (which I think worked well) is to select the keys, and insert a default style, and then you run a command that updates the style. that way you can get the keys that are in the citation easily from org-element-context, and then I can make a preview for each style that is consistent with the best guess for what the exporter is. (based on the cite_export keyword, or a default choice). On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 8:58 PM Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > Hi Nicolas, > > On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 3:28 PM Nicolas Goaziou > wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > "Bruce D'Arcus" writes: > > > > > But to do that best and most consistently (next step is CSL, for > > > example), I need the citation accessible from there, so I can run the > > > export processors to generate the previews. > > > > > > Could we possibly tweak SELECT-STYLE to take one argument: citation? > > > > When you are inserting a whole new citation, what would be the value? > > nil? What would you display then? > > The first iteration of the idea behind the request is this style selection > UI: > > > https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1134/126531061-40cf47ab-0c7f-42ac-8ddb-341e7ab70d4b.png > > So the idea is to present a preview of the style/variant output when > selecting the style. > > Like: > > / (Doe, 2019) > > ... or maybe even multiple columns: > > / (Doe, 2019) \citep > > I'm thinking the best way to build this UI is to iterate through > org-cite-support-styles, and run at least the default export processes > to create that preview annotation, > > As my thinking has evolved (and there's been a lot of discussion on > this the past week), I see two options: > > 1. Generate the previews from the citations at point. This was the > idea that promoted the suggestion here, since I can't get access to > that citation data if I use org-cite-make-insert-processor. > > 2. Instead, have a standardized example record just for the preview. > With this approach, the citation context isn't relevant. > > As to your question, do any style UIs currently allow you to select a > style on a new citation before selecting the keys? > > Bruce > >