Maybe I am missing something, what would the utility of #+toc: figures be? Is it only for export? I would make a link: [[elisp:org-list-of-figures]] where org-list-of-figures is an emacs-lisp function that would parse the buffer and present you with a list of clickable links to the figures. You could alternatively make this a new org-link, so you could also specify how it exports, eg. [[lof:click-me][List of Figures]] That would be pure org-markup, and make org more useful, and it would also happen to support LaTeX export too. I guess you would recognize figures as extensions in the file links. John ----------------------------------- John Kitchin Associate Professor Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote: > Aloha Nicolas, > > Nicolas Goaziou writes: > > > Hello, > > > > tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes: > > > >> I can imagine that a list of figures is a difficult problem in some > >> other back-ends. However, its absence in LaTeX export seems unusual. > > > > Org doesn't cover all LaTeX facilities. There are #+LATEX: > > and #+BEGIN_LATEX...#+END_LATEX to fill the gap. > > > >> Would it make sense to have this work as expected for LaTeX export (and > >> perhaps other back-ends where it does make sense) > > > > We can start to discuss what a good implementation could be for major > > back-ends. But implementing it for LaTeX only is, IMO, not worth the > > trouble: > > > > #+toc: figures > > > > vs. > > > > #+latex: \listoffigures > > AFAICT the new exporter works flawlessly. I'm confident that it will > let me produce LaTeX to any practical specification. > > My original query came about because I was trying to write Org markup > and *not* drop down to LaTeX. In this context--Org as a lightweight > markup language--the possibility of creating all but one of the > "lists-of" with #+TOC: seems like the markup language core is missing a > piece. > > I look forward to the discussion of implementations for the major > back-ends. Let me know if I can help in any way. > > All the best, > Tom > > -- > Thomas S. Dye > http://www.tsdye.com > >