In org-ref you also handle this by annotations of the cite links, e.g. [[cite:book-key][p23]] and then bibtex or biblatex does the formatting. John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 7:22 AM Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:31 PM Adam Sneller > wrote: > > > I currently use org-ref and helm-bibtex to manage my database of > academic sources, with one notes file per source. A lot of my sources are > books. So note typically grow over time, as I add multiple headers (each > pertaining to a chapter or topic/note taken from that source). > > > > But now I want to produce a citation that references the page numbers > where I captured that note... > > > > What is the recommended way to handle this? Are you breaking notes into > individual files, each with their own @inbook citation? > > Generally speaking, referencing page numbers and sections of a cited > source is not handled by dedicated citations, but rather by > annotations on the containing citation (book etc.). > > So in the pandoc syntax, for example, [@book, p23]. > > I do the same with notes, and just included the specific citation with > the note if I need to maintain the specific source page. > > Bruce > >