Thanks for making it happen John! I had a great visit, and hope to see some org-mode adoption in a company environment. That would be amazing! John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM John Hendy wrote: > Hi all, > > > Just wanted to celebrate the fact that 3M (where I work [1]) was able > to host Prof. John Kitchen last week to give two talks: one on his > work in catalysis, touching on modeling molecular interactions, and a > second one about reproducible research with Org-mode. > > At 3M we have chapters, which I describe like college clubs, but > organized around different technology topics. These are volunteer > groups responsible for some ~450 events per year at 3M Center in St. > Paul, MN. The events are things like internal product/technology > talks, vendor presentations, poster sessions, and hosting professors. > > When I saw John's mention scimax [2] maybe a year ago and realized he > works in an area where we have such a chapter (catalysis), as well as > works with Org-mode (relevant to our software chapter), I started > scheming and pitched that we invite him. Fast forward a few back and > forths about timing later, followed by a sabbatical at Google, and > revisiting the idea... and it finally happened! > > Sadly, I missed the Org talk (CTO was presenting at the same time), > but I did go to the first and was able to join him for dinner. I admit > that the others at dinner were not quite as programm-y as we were, and > might have been playing along laughing we got into the inevitable vim > vs. emacs jokes. We were quite amused, though. > > John will be the second person I've met on the user list. I met Erik > Iverson, a long-time user, back in 2011. Turns out he was running the > Twin Cities R User Group here and we ended up co-organizing together > for a couple years. > > So far, Org-ers have been 100% awesome in person, and I look forward > to running into more down the road. Anyway, just felt like a fun bit > of news to share, and hopefully you all can nerd out about Org in > person at some point too! > > It was great to meet you John, great work, great talk, and I look > forward to digging into scimax more soon! > > > Best regards, > John > > [1] If 3M isn't immediately recognizable, you might know it for some > of it's bigger brands/products like Scotch Tape, Command Strips, > Post-It Notes, Filtrete filters, and Scotch-Brite. > > [2] https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax > >