* Re: clickable text in org-mode not working (Sebastien Vauban)
@ 2012-11-13 18:24 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2012-11-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was just learning about programming interactive features into emacs
buffers, and something that worked in one major mode did not work in
org-mode. I have narrowed it down to an effect of font-lock-mode. When
that is off, the mouse-clicking works fine, when it is on, the font
syntax highlighting works fine, but not the clicking in org-mode.

In terms of usage, I could see this as a way to automatically make
"links" out of different words, or in a related application to overlay
tooltips on specific words without having to markup the org-file. In
essence, moving some markup to a lisp file that is run before opening
the org-file.

I am familiar with `org-add-link-type' and have used that to do some
pretty cool things, as well as the elisp and shell links. With the
clickable text code I described, you can actually do different things
with different mouse clicks, including different mouse buttons, and
presumably on mouse button up events. It is not obvious that can be
done with `org-add-link-type'; you get the same behavior with any
mouse button click. I havent advanced to a point where I could get
emacs-lisp to tell me which mouse event occurred on clicking on a
link. That seems possible though.