I was not aware of any implied hierarchy with tags. The order is not important as far as I know, and what you describe as mix-and-match seems ok. There is an idea of inheritance, e.g. sub-headings can inherit tags from higher headings. In any case, you should be able to use agenda queries to find headings that are lisp and not emacs, lisp+orgmode, etc. I am not sure about the org-mode tag. In the past, emacs splits that into :org:mode: for me. What do you want to do with the tags? John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:07 AM, Lawrence Bottorff wrote: > Is it possible to have two or more tags that are "peers," i.e., all equal, > not in a hierarchy, be in an ad-hoc, as-needed way be hierarchical? For > example, I have the tags *org-mode, lisp, *and *emacs, *and I want to > have a header with the tags > > * my header :emacs:org-mode:lisp: > > So the above should be an ad-hoc hierarchy of > > - emacs > - org-mode > - lisp > > As I understand, the order indicates the level in a hierarchy. True? So > the above has *emacs* at the top of the tag hierarchy, then *org-mode, *then > *lisp. *Correct? So yes, I could simply set up this hierarchy. But what I > really want is to not have these tags in any set hierarchy, rather, be able > to use them independently, mix-and-match, e.g., > > * Another Header :emacs:lisp: > > or maybe > > * Yet Another Header :lisp: > > and this would be just about non-Emacs, non-org-mode Lisp. Is this > mix-and-match possible? > > LB >