* latex export of \ce question
@ 2014-04-21 23:35 John Kitchin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-04-21 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all,

I often have to use the mhchem latex package to write chemical formulas,
and I have teh following export issue.

If I have this in an org file:

\ce{ABO_3}

\ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}

this exports as
\ce{ABO_3}

\ce\{ABO$_{\text{3-}\delta}$\}

The first one is fine, but the second one is not.  The nested {} seems to
mess it up. Is there a way to get this to export correctly?

thanks,

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: latex export of \ce question
@ 2014-04-22  4:14 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2014-04-22  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: John Kitchin

Hi John,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> If I have this in an org file:
>
> \ce{ABO_3}
> \ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}
>
> this exports as
> \ce{ABO_3}
> \ce\{ABO$_{\text{3-}\delta}$\}
>
> The first one is fine, but the second one is not.  The nested {} seems to
> mess it up. Is there a way to get this to export correctly?

Hmm.  I've played around with this a little, and the best solution I've
got is to use an explicit fallback to LaTeX, like:

#+LATEX: \ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}

...or whatever literal LaTeX is the right output for your situation.
(What is the correct export output in this case?  In particular, should
the contents of the subscript be in math mode?)

The problem does indeed seem to be the embedded braces...I'm guessing
this is an inherent limitation, resulting form the fact that Org uses
regular expressions to recognize LaTeX expressions.

If this is something you need to do all the time, and the #+LATEX syntax
doesn't work for you (e.g. if you also need HTML export), you could look
into an Org macro or an export filter.

Best,
Richard

(If possible, please encrypt your reply to me using my PGP key:
Key ID: CF6FA646
Fingerprint: 9969 43E1 CF6F A646.
See http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rwl/encryption.html for more information.)

* Re: latex export of \ce question
@ 2014-04-22 12:32 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-04-22 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I often have to use the mhchem latex package to write chemical formulas,
> and I have teh following export issue.
>
> If I have this in an org file:
>
> \ce{ABO_3}
>
> \ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}
>
> this exports as
> \ce{ABO_3}
>
> \ce\{ABO$_{\text{3-}\delta}$\}
>
> The first one is fine, but the second one is not.  The nested {} seems to
> mess it up. Is there a way to get this to export correctly?

You could use snippets.  If you prefer the macro syntax you could also
use that. . .

   #+MACRO: ce @@latex:ce($1)@@
   @@latex:ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}@@
   {{{ce(ABO_{3-\delta})}}}

--
This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put

* Re: latex export of \ce question
@ 2014-04-22 15:03   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-04-22 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks. I was going crazy looking for the snippet syntax!

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

>    #+MACRO: ce @@latex:ce($1)@@
>    @@latex:ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}@@
>    {{{ce(ABO_{3-\delta})}}}

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2014-04-22 22:44 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-04-22 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I often have to use the mhchem latex package to write chemical formulas, and
> I have teh following export issue.
>
> If I have this in an org file:
>
> \ce{ABO_3}
>
> \ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}

I've taken to using \( \) around LaTeX stuff. I also have:

so that might be required. I tried your example, and I get an
undefined control sequence error (not sure why...), but it seems to
look right in the PDF. Just another option that might work for you
(maybe less typing for one-off situations?).

\(\ce{ABO_{3-\delta}}\)

John

@ 2014-04-26 13:51   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-04-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)