* [OT] wildcards in autocorrect?
@ 2015-03-28 14:19 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-03-28 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I make a lot of typing errors (I have an injury to one hand, which impedes
bilateral cooperation). In Libreoffice I am able to define wildcard
autocorrect objects, e.g.:

oc.* ---> co.*

This will correct ocrrect, ocmputer, ocndition, etc.  Does anyone know a
way to do something similar in Emacs? Right now I am using abbrev mode and
defining my errors one by one -- it is a very slow process since I make so
many mistakes and have a moderately large vocabulary.

I am sure this is possible somehow, I just don't know how.

thanks as always,

* Re: [OT] wildcards in autocorrect?
@ 2015-03-28 16:57 ` Samuel W. Flint
From: Samuel W. Flint @ 2015-03-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

There's something on endless parentheses that will let you generate a correction abbrev with a keystroke.

Samuel W. Flint
Please forgive any typos as this was composed on a screen keyboard.

@ 2015-03-28 17:17   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-03-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel W. Flint; +Cc: Org Mode

Maybe key-chord mode could help with this?

  -k.

Please excuse brevity. Sent from pocket computer with tiny non-haptic feedback keyboard.

@ 2015-03-28 17:47     ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2015-03-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org Mode, Samuel W. Flint

* Something like this may do what you seek (which isn't clear to me):

Mx replace-regexp \boc.*\b \bco.*\b

** But why you'd do such a thing is a mystery to me--this may be more
useful to you:

Query Replace

M-% string <RET> newstring <RET>
Replace some occurrences of string with newstring.
C-M-% regexp <RET> newstring <RET>
Replace some matches for regexp with newstring.

** Forgive me if you know this already.

*** But your question is slightly funny to long time Emacs users like
myself because Emacs has been built, piece-by-piece, by thousands of
programmers, to do the most complex editing jobs you can imagine and the
regular expression library is the fastest in the world for "buffers",
"windows" and visual incremental search and replace (as I describe above).
By the way if you have to do search and replace, and you want to do it
visually, I suggest "QEmacs"--made by the same genius who created Qemu
(which is what VirtualBox is based on) and he also broke the record for
calculating the digits of π.  I'm talking about Fabrice Bellard--thank God
for him!

(I recommend QEmacs--just for the fun of it--it has a few amazing
abilities.)

* Finally, from reading your general [OT]/help me plea: I strongly suggest
you use FlySpell-Mode (in addition to "abbrev" functions that the other
Emacs hackers suggested).

@ 2015-03-28 17:58       ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2015-03-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org Mode, Samuel W. Flint

* Cosmic: Also in my email today is a link to discussion which brought up
QEmacs + Fabrice Bellard--and what some of you "[OT] Emacs Org-Mode
hackers" may be interested in: a tiny Emacs version called "Mg":

beagle3 5 days ago:

Related: Fabrice Bellard[0]'s QEmacs. http://bellard.org/qemacs/ - a 160KB
executable provides a mostly complete Emacs experience (sans scripting ..
sort of like Mg), but does include syntax coloring, unicode, and watching
video inside the editor. A 60KB stripped down version has a feature set
comparable to Mg as far as I can tell.
[0] of FFMPEG, QEMU, BPG, TCC, JSLINUX and more fame.

@ 2015-03-28 18:20   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-03-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel W. Flint; +Cc: Org Mode

This is the code Samuel refers to. It is awesome. I use it less and less ;)
by which I mean everytime I use it is one less time I ever have to use it.

;;
http://endlessparentheses.com/ispell-and-abbrev-the-perfect-auto-correct.html
(define-key ctl-x-map "\C-i" 'endless/ispell-word-then-abbrev)

(defun endless/ispell-word-then-abbrev (p)
  "Call `ispell-word'. Then create an abbrev for the correction made.
With prefix P, create local abbrev. Otherwise it will be global."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((bef (downcase (or (thing-at-point 'word) ""))) aft)
    (call-interactively 'ispell-word)
    (setq aft (downcase (or (thing-at-point 'word) "")))
    (unless (string= aft bef)
      (message "\"%s\" now expands to \"%s\" %sally"
               bef aft (if p "loc" "glob"))
      (define-abbrev
        (if p global-abbrev-table local-abbrev-table)
        bef aft))))

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2015-03-28 18:34     ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2015-03-28 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Org Mode, Samuel W. Flint

Very interesting John, I get it now--that may be very useful--thanks for
that.

Also, I left out a main reason to use QEmacs: I use it for visually editing
very large multi-gigabyte files--I use it for some of the things we
discussed--search and replace and/or incremental-search-and-replace.

@ 2015-03-28 19:56     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-03-28 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Org Mode, Samuel W. Flint