I think it is so interesting, we have actually tried a variation of it! I set up an org-file that exported a supplementary information file, using attachfile to embed data files and scripts in the pdf. Unfortunately, the journal "processed" the pdf file, and stripped those files out ;( We haven't tried to see if we can get our original supplemental pdf accepted. John ----------------------------------- John Kitchin Associate Professor Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Thomas S. Dye wrote: > Hi John, > > John Kitchin writes: > > > Hi everyone, > > Thanks for the tips in using export filters for code blocks. I thought I > > would share my current solution. The goal was to export all the code > blocks > > in an org-file to files systematically named part1/script-%d.py where %d > is > > a number. I didnot want to tangle exactly, because I wanted to avoid > naming > > the code block tangle files. > > > > Then, I wanted to insert a pdf link that would open the file, after the > > syntax highlighted code. > > > > I wanted this because it is not convenient to copy and paste the > > syntax-highlighted code into an editor. I teach from the pdf that is > > generated, and it would be convenient to just open the code, edit and > rerun > > to explore solutions. > > This seems like it might be an elegant way to distribute a piece of > reproducible research. I suspect most readers would prefer to have a pdf > entry point into a compendium over an Org-mode entry point. Instead of > distributing the Org-mode file that is configured to make a pdf file, > carry out calculations, draw figures, etc., one could distribute a > ready-made pdf file with an appendix of Supplementary Material that has > all the code for calculations, figures, etc. > > What do you think? > > All the best, > Tom > > -- > Thomas S. Dye > http://www.tsdye.com >