I suggest you look into the acrotex package (http://www.acrotex.net/) which has good support for tests. You can use the regular latex exporter with that. John ----------------------------------- John Kitchin Associate Professor Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 6:10 AM, Marcin Borkowski wrote: > Hi list, > > I'd like to extend the LaTeX exporter to be able to prepare tests with > Org-mode. Four basic kinds of tests I'm thinking about are: single > choice test, multiple choice test, cloze test and an "open" question > (where the expected answer is, say, at most 5 lines of text). It > would enable the user to typeset both the test for students and an > answer sheet for the teacher to facilitate grading. (If - and when - I > succeed in doing this, next logical step is preparing HTML/Javascript > tests from the same Org-mode source.) I have a few questions, though. > > 1. Is it possible to employ syntax like ____{noon|midday} to denote a > cloze with two possible answers? It might get translated to LaTeX as > e.g. \cloze{{noon},{midday}} or similar, and a LaTeX package would > take care to typeset this correctly. Is there any similar thing (i.e., > an exporter built on some existing one) so that I can look at an > example of code doing such thing? > > 2. What would you suggest as the input format on the Org side of > things? My suggestion for the cloze syntax is shown above (let us > assume that at least two or three underscores are needed to > distinguish this from subscript, and some form of escaping the pipe > symbol and braces might be necessary. Alternatively, it might be > configurable to use e.g. ____[noon/midday] (or other characters). > > What about SCTs/MCTs? My idea would be to employ plain lists with > checkboxes - they seem to be pretty useless outside Org-mode anyway, > and I imagine that it could be something like this: > > #+ > - [ ] wrong answer > - [X] good answer > - [X] another good answer > - [ ] a completely stupid answer > > As for "open" questions, I have no good idea. Maybe something like > > #+LINES: 5 > > but what about example answers (for the teacher grading the test)? > Maybe it would be better to say: > #+BEGIN_ANSWER > (Here goes the right answer.) > #+END_ANSWER, > > but is it possible to pass a parameter (number of lines) to > #+BEGIN_ANSWER? > > 3. Bonus question: would there be any demand (apart from myself) for > such an exporter? > > What do you think? > > -- > Marcin Borkowski > http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski > Adam Mickiewicz University > >