You could define a new org link with this behavior. You just need to work out a syntax for a link to the heading that also includes the property name. e.g. [[property:file.org::*Heading::property]] then, define a :follow function that probably opens the heading when you open it, and an :export function that looks up the property and uses that value on export. You would split your path on ::, then you should have a list like (file heading property-name). For the follow function, just find-file on the filename, then search for the heading. For the export, wrap that in save-window-excursion, and use (org-entry-get) on the heading to get the property value. John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 7:41 PM David Masterson < dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> wrote: > I don't see this capability in Org, but maybe I'm missing it. > > My use case is that I setup an Org file as my phonebook. Each child > header (ie. no subheaders) is a person in my phonebook. I can > categorize them using parent headers. All information about a person is > stored in PROPERTY drawers (but, you could have information outside the > drawer). > > What I'd like to do is include a "reference" to a PROPERTY in the > phonebook entry in other Org files so that phone and address is stored > in the phonebook, but I want the "reference" to become the value of the > PROPERTY when the other Org file is exported. I could do a link to the > phonebook Org file, but that is a link and not the data. I'd prefer to > have (say) an exported PDF be standalone and not have references to the > other file that I would also have to export. One reason is that I might > have "confidential" information in the phonebook. > > Does this make sense? Has it been done? > -- > David Masterson > >