You might look into the lentic package. It might be possible to view a bib file in two views, one in Bibtex mode for the entries, and one in org-mode for the comments. In the bibtex view, the org narrative would be in comment form, and in the org view the bibtex entries would be in source blocks. I have not used lentic extensively, and haven't had much luck lately using it but it seems to be made for the kind of purpose you describe. John ----------------------------------- Professor John Kitchin Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 @johnkitchin http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM, wrote: > My need is for a simple work flow/usage of Orgmode to annotate and > organize existing BibTex *.bib files. I have mentioned on this list > that I had found Cb2Bib to work extremely well for, so to speak, > harvesting references from Google Scholar. In fact, Pere Constans, > developer of Cb2Bib, recently helped me to streamline this usage to > allow the use of the "Annotation" field, and I have also worked out a > way to output and print a pdf with this field using Cb2Bib's bib2pdf > utility. I use this as a basis for library research. > > However, I have a wide range of such references in each file, over > dozens of topics, and I would like to incorporate by some means an > ability to include org-mode subheadings with maybe tags, so enable the > citations to be more easily sorted. > > I do not need to have automatic selection for a bibliography in the > output, or automatic insertion of citations, at this point. > > I have asked this question on this list, and studied from time to time > the solutions for using org-mode with bibtex, and visa-versa. I don't > really have the time or inclination to learn these. > > I remember that in BibTeX documentation, was mention that almost > anything outside of the individual records could serve as a comment. > This is more or less what I have in mind. > > I would appreciate hearing from anyone who use such a simple approach. > It would be most convenient if it were not necessary to change the > extension of the *.bib files; I used to do this, but the extra steps > for each reference was exhausting. > > Thank you for any ideas, > > Alan Davis > > > > >