* Using Org-mode for mass-scheduling appointments
@ 2014-01-22 11:55 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-01-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I have the following problem: I want to schedule quite a few short (10
minutes, say) appointments with my students ("mass" is probably an
exaggeration, but there are going to be around 50 of them).  I'll have
several time slots, and I want the students to reserve one for each of
them.  I'd like to publish a table with "free/reserved" info on the
web.  I don't want any fancy web forms and automatic reservation, just
emails+manual updates of the table.  Can you imagine any way Org (with
tables, or maybe scheduling) might help, so that I don't have to write
html by hand, for instance?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Using Org-mode for mass-scheduling appointments
@ 2014-01-22 23:17 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-01-22 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do you mean besides making your table in org-mode and exporting it to an
html file? you can update the org-file and reexport it whenever you get an
email from a student.

what else did you want to happen?

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2014-03-15 11:07 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-03-15 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2014-01-22, o godz. 12:55:43
Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisał(a):

> Hi list,
>
> I have the following problem: I want to schedule quite a few short (10
> minutes, say) appointments with my students ("mass" is probably an
> exaggeration, but there are going to be around 50 of them).  I'll have
> several time slots, and I want the students to reserve one for each of
> them.  I'd like to publish a table with "free/reserved" info on the
> web.  I don't want any fancy web forms and automatic reservation, just
> emails+manual updates of the table.  Can you imagine any way Org (with
> tables, or maybe scheduling) might help, so that I don't have to write
> html by hand, for instance?

Just for the record: I ended up using Org to prepare a table with the
possible time slots, which was then printed and attached to a pinboard
near my room. Then, each student could come and write down his/her name
in a selected slot (with a pen).  This way, I solved the problem of
race conditions in (probably) the simplest possible way...

Best,

--

@ 2014-03-15 11:32   ` Peter Neilson
From: Peter Neilson @ 2014-03-15 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 07:07:22 -0400, Marcin Borkowski
<mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> Dnia 2014-01-22, o godz. 12:55:43
> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisał(a):
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have the following problem: I want to schedule quite a few short (10
>> minutes, say) appointments with my students ("mass" is probably an
>> exaggeration, but there are going to be around 50 of them).  I'll have
>> several time slots, and I want the students to reserve one for each of
>> them.  I'd like to publish a table with "free/reserved" info on the
>> web.  I don't want any fancy web forms and automatic reservation, just
>> emails+manual updates of the table.  Can you imagine any way Org (with
>> tables, or maybe scheduling) might help, so that I don't have to write
>> html by hand, for instance?
>
> Just for the record: I ended up using Org to prepare a table with the
> possible time slots, which was then printed and attached to a pinboard
> near my room. Then, each student could come and write down his/her name
> in a selected slot (with a pen).  This way, I solved the problem of
> race conditions in (probably) the simplest possible way...

This is actually a good solution. If, for example, there are two students
who are there to sign up for exactly the same slot (a conflict) the
resolution is obtained by their mutual discussion, right there by your
room. You do not need to invoke Dijkstra or any sort of mutex devices.
Deadlock is impossible. Some problems are better solved if the computer is
removed.

If student A absolutely must have the time slot already held by student B,
it is the responsibility of A to contact B. You, emacs, and the Org crew
easily relinquish any responsibility.