that sounds like an interesting approach. xml seems like what you really want, since looking at the parsetree there is a lot of information (e.g. attributes, properties, etc...) that would be tricky to generate a fully representative json scheme. This page suggests at the bottom you could export to texinfo, and convert that to docbook: http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/ox-overview.html - (1) DocBook export, available in previous Org-mode versions, has not currently been ported to the new exporter, however the new ox-texinfobackend can generate DocBook format. Once file.texi is created via ox-texinfo, simply execute: makeinfo --docbook file.texi John ----------------------------------- John Kitchin Associate Professor Doherty Hall A207F Department of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 15213 412-268-7803 http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Brett Viren wrote: > Has anyone written any new-style exporter which will produce a common > markup/data language format like JSON or YAML? I'm looking for > something that fully preserves the original org document structure and > does no semantic interpretation along the way. > > What I really want is to parse arbitrary org files in Python. I've > looked at the entries at worg's "org-tool" node which do this but they > seem out of date or make assumptions about what org elements exist or > their URLs are not loading (NEO). If any of that's a misrepresentation > please correct me. > > In any case, using org's own exporter to produce JSON or YAML and then > relying on these format's Python modules for parsing seems like the best > way to go to let me author in org and process in Python. > > I'm not very good with elisp (which is why I want to get org data into > Python) but I guess I can have a go at making such a "shunt" exporter. > Before I try, I just wanted to check if someone had this wheel already > spinning. > > Thanks, > -Brett. >