* understanding column groups
@ 2012-02-16 17:27 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2012-02-16 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am trying to make (and understand!) column groups for html export
According to http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-groups.html having a line
starting / and then showing < for group start and group end makes column
groups.

When I make and org file containing these 4 lines:

* head
  | /         | <                 > |     | < > |
  | some text | and some more       | d e | fg  |
  |           |                     |     |     |

all that happens on export is that the / < > etc literally appear in the
export!

Is there something else I should study?

Org-mode version 7.8.02

* Re: understanding column groups
@ 2012-02-16 17:37 ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2012-02-16 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rustom,

I think the issue is that you have missed assigning a column (the 3rd) to a group.  Also, to simplify things, as stated no the link you gave, you can just specify the start of column groups.  Something like the following should work as expected:

* head
  | /         | <                   |<    | <   |
  | some text | and some more       | d e | fg  |
  |           |                     |     |     |

Chris

On Feb 16, 2012, at 9:27 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> I am trying to make (and understand!) column groups for html export
> According to http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-groups.html having a line starting / and then showing < for group start and group end makes column groups.
>
> When I make and org file containing these 4 lines:
>
> * head
>   | /         | <                 > |     | < > |
>   | some text | and some more       | d e | fg  |
>   |           |                     |     |     |

> all that happens on export is that the / < > etc literally appear in the export!
>
> Is there something else I should study?
>
> Org-mode version 7.8.02

Chris Malone (malone@ucolick.org)

Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics
UC Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077

phone: 831-459-3809

* Re: understanding column groups
@ 2012-02-16 17:51 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-02-16 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to make (and understand!) column groups for html export
> According to http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-groups.html having a
> line starting / and then showing < for group start and group end
> makes column groups.
>
> When I make and org file containing these 4 lines:
>
> * head
>   | /         | <                 > |     | < > |
>   | some text | and some more       | d e | fg  |
>
> all that happens on export is that the / < > etc literally appear in
> the export!
>
> Is there something else I should study?

Not this < > but this <>. i.e., no spaces between the angle
brackets. Seems to work.

@ 2012-02-16 18:59   ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2012-02-16 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode