Nick wrote: > Why exactly the last one is parsed as a literal string and not as a line > break, I don't know. Nicolas will probably explain all. The only thing I > can say is that if there is something other than whitespace on the line > before the \\, it gets parsed as a line break; if there is only > whitespace (or nothing), it gets parsed as a string. That's probably a > rough description and not quite right in all particulars, but I hope > it's close enough. So the question remains: How to get generic, consistent vertical space?