* Problems running ob-julia tests (testing/test-ob-julia.el)
@ 2022-10-17 20:08 Christian Köstlin
From: Christian Köstlin @ 2022-10-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org-mode wizards,

I am trying to run the ob-julia tests but `make test` is prompting me
for a project folder. Has anybody the tests (or the ob-julia setup) in
a working state? (Simple ob-julia evaluations (without session) do
work for me).

Kind regards,
Christian

* Re: Problems running ob-julia tests (testing/test-ob-julia.el)
@ 2022-10-18  4:45 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-18  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Köstlin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christian Köstlin <christian.koestlin@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to run the ob-julia tests but `make test` is prompting me
> for a project folder. Has anybody the tests (or the ob-julia setup) in
> a working state? (Simple ob-julia evaluations (without session) do
> work for me).

Some more data.

I just tried to run test-ob-julia/colnames-yes-header-argument
interactively and the test fails. Trying to execute example source block
raises the following error:

ERROR: syntax: cannot juxtapose string literal
Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope
   @ none:1
munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer

signal (6): Aborted
in expression starting at none:0
unknown function (ip: 0x7f151f86beac)
raise at /lib64/libc.so.6 (unknown line)
abort at /lib64/libc.so.6 (unknown line)
unknown function (ip: 0x7f151f8601d6)
unknown function (ip: 0x7f151f875c3b)
unknown function (ip: 0x7f151f875e5b)
free at /lib64/libc.so.6 (unknown line)
close_unit_1 at /workspace/srcdir/gcc-7.1.0/libgfortran/io/unit.c:778
close_units at /workspace/srcdir/gcc-7.1.0/libgfortran/io/unit.c:831
unknown function (ip: 0x7f151fe87c82)
unknown function (ip: 0x7f151f822407)
exit at /lib64/libc.so.6 (unknown line)
main at julia (unknown line)
unknown function (ip: 0x7f151f80b34b)
__libc_start_main at /lib64/libc.so.6 (unknown line)
unknown function (ip: 0x400808)
Allocations: 1619791 (Pool: 1618747; Big: 1044); GC: 2

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Problems running ob-julia tests (testing/test-ob-julia.el)
@ 2022-10-18  4:46   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-18  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Köstlin, Pedro Bruel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[CCing the maintainer]

> Christian Köstlin <christian.koestlin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am trying to run the ob-julia tests but `make test` is prompting me
>> for a project folder. Has anybody the tests (or the ob-julia setup) in
>> a working state? (Simple ob-julia evaluations (without session) do
>> work for me).
>
> Some more data.
>
> I just tried to run test-ob-julia/colnames-yes-header-argument
> interactively and the test fails. Trying to execute example source block
> raises the following error:
>
> ERROR: syntax: cannot juxtapose string literal

Pedro, could you please take a look

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Problems running ob-julia tests (testing/test-ob-julia.el)
@ 2022-10-19  1:11     ` Pedro Bruel
From: Pedro Bruel @ 2022-10-19  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Christian Köstlin, emacs-orgmode

Could you please share which versions of julia, emacs, and orgmode you are
running?
I believe the ob-julia version we have on orgmode does not support sessions.

Thanks,
Pedro

@ 2022-10-19  1:33       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-19  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Bruel; +Cc: Christian Köstlin, emacs-orgmode

Pedro Bruel <pedro.bruel@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe the ob-julia version we have on orgmode does not support sessions.

There is definitely session support in lisp/ob-julia.el. ob-julia does
define org-babel-load-session:julia and org-babel-prep-session:julia.

Session support is even tested in testing/lisp/test-ob-julia.el
For example, in test-ob-julia/session-multiline.

ob-julia documentation also declares full session support:
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-julia.html

For context, Christian is helping us to setup automatic CI tests for Org
and we are now experiencing some issues with tests for babel languages.
Those tests are normally disabled as they require external packages,
which is why the problem was not noticed in the past.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Problems running ob-julia tests (testing/test-ob-julia.el)
@ 2022-10-20 22:30         ` Christian Köstlin
From: Christian Köstlin @ 2022-10-20 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Pedro Bruel, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 3:32 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Pedro Bruel <pedro.bruel@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I believe the ob-julia version we have on orgmode does not support sessions.
>
> There is definitely session support in lisp/ob-julia.el. ob-julia does
> define org-babel-load-session:julia and org-babel-prep-session:julia.
>
> Session support is even tested in testing/lisp/test-ob-julia.el
> For example, in test-ob-julia/session-multiline.
>
> ob-julia documentation also declares full session support:
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-julia.html
>
> For context, Christian is helping us to setup automatic CI tests for Org
> and we are now experiencing some issues with tests for babel languages.
> Those tests are normally disabled as they require external packages,
> which is why the problem was not noticed in the past.
>
> --
> Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
> Org mode contributor,
> Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
> Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
> or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>

I looked some more into testing/lisp/test-ob-julia.el. And it
seems for me, that the file was not completely ported over from python.
There are still python examples in it + some of the tests, are only
there, because they we're written for python (e.g.
test-ob-julia/insert-necessary-blank-line-when-sending-code-to-interpreter).

I could get hello worlds without session running (:reports output).
When I try :reports value I do not get good results.

ATM I am testing with emacs28 and julia 1.4.1 and org-mode master

@ 2022-11-21  2:27         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-21  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Bruel; +Cc: Christian Köstlin, emacs-orgmode

> Pedro Bruel <pedro.bruel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I believe the ob-julia version we have on orgmode does not support sessions.
>
> There is definitely session support in lisp/ob-julia.el. ob-julia does
> define org-babel-load-session:julia and org-babel-prep-session:julia.
>
> Session support is even tested in testing/lisp/test-ob-julia.el
> For example, in test-ob-julia/session-multiline.
>
> ob-julia documentation also declares full session support:
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-julia.html

Pedro, have you had a chance to look into this further?
(Bumping this as one month has passed since the last reply).

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,