From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>
To: "Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Nested quote blocks?
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 12:57:32 -0500	[thread overview]

Thanks for responding, Eric. :)

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 2:28 AM Fraga, Eric <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday,  3 Mar 2020 at 12:57, Tim Visher wrote:
> > Is there a way to get nested quotes blocks to work?
>
> What is your actual goal?  That is, what you do mean by "to work"?  I
> ask because although, as Nicolas has said, you cannot do this directly
> with org, you can achieve some specific goals with special blocks and/or
> drawers.  For instance, if your goal were to export to LaTeX, this code
> would do the job:
>
> #+begin_src org
>   ,#+latex_header: \let\myquote\quote
>   ,* testing nested blocks
>   Joe said:
>
>   ,#+begin_quote
>   This is the outer block.
>
>   ,#+begin_myquote
>   and this is the inner block
>   ,#+end_myquote
>
>   followed by the outer block.
>   ,#+end_quote
>
>   and that is all folks.
> #+end_src

I can demonstrate my goal with Markdown like so
<https://gist.github.com/timvisher/9500d76d609c593b6bcfbb1c6c529ae5>. If
you view the raw file
<https://gist.githubusercontent.com/timvisher/9500d76d609c593b6bcfbb1c6c529ae5/raw/1c5d16ee9c4ad6e33d99f450e5f6e8ce323bdd83/x.md>
you
can see how the quote level nests and yet all of Markdown's markup is
rendered as well. Thus each block quoting 'level' is a fully functional
Markdown context.

IIUC, your solution should work but it's necessarily tied to specific
export backends, right? I would be happy if it could be made to work for
the HTML because that's often my intermediary form these days for getting
text out of Org into something others find less intimidating. :)