From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>
To: Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com>, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: ox-html Incorrectly (?) Puts HTML Into the `<title>` Tag
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 17:29:36 -0400	[thread overview]

Thanks so much for getting back to me, Jens.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:59 AM Jens Lechtenboerger <
jens.lechtenboerger@wi.uni-muenster.de> wrote:

> On 2021-04-19, Kyle Meyer wrote:
>
> > Tim Visher writes:
> >
> >> Unfortunately, the title now is essentially the exact text of the org
> >> heading, which is awkward in terms of readability for a general audience
> >> (and probably for SEO etc.). I know I said in my original message that I
> >> think stripping all the markup characters would be going too far but
> now I
> >> think I've come full circle and rendering the title as nothing but the
> >> plain text without any markup information feels like the right solution
> >> given what the title is supposed to convey.
> >>
> >> So, would we be willing to accept a patch to that effect? :)
> >
> > I don't have an informed opinion about the above, but providing a patch
> > might prompt those that do (including TEC, the author of the above
> > commit, as well as Jens, who provided reviews) to give their input.
>
> The following is not a strong opinion: The author writes “what the
> title is supposed to convey”.  If there is *emphasis*, why not
> export that as ASCII markup to HTML?
>
> With an additional option, authors could choose.

I guess I don't have a super strong opinion here either. Ironically, coming
from someone who spends a significant portion of their day reading raw
org/markdown documents with no problem, something about even the ASCII
style markup in the title looks wrong to me. I don't do SEO and
nothing in MDN's
article <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/title>
indicates
that non word characters have a negative affect anyway but it just looks
strange to my eyes.

I guess regardless it sounds like if I were to go to the trouble of making
a patch for this it would be good to make sure that it was behind an option
and probably defaulting to the current HEAD behavior of including the ASCII
markup with an option to strip the non-word characters from it.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

https://blog.twonegatives.com