* [Beamer] Combining blocks, columns, and column(s) options
@ 2015-03-23 20:12 Matthew Gidden
From: Matthew Gidden @ 2015-03-23 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

I've found a number of references to the problem of aligning columns,
especially using the block environment [1, 2, 3]. Specifically, I would
like to supply option arguments to either the `columns` or `column` latex
environment directive. As written, it appears that only the `block`
environment can be supplied options. I have also tried the BEAMER_envarg
suggestion on the website <http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-export.html> to
no avail.

To clarify, I would like to inject an option `[t]` such that a .org file
that looks like
```
*** Foo

**** Bar
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_col: 0.45
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
foo

**** Baz
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_col: 0.45
:BEAMER_env: block
:END:
foo
```

gets translated into tex that looks like
```
\begin{frame}[label=sec-x-y-z]{Foo}
\begin{columns}*[t]*
\begin{column}{0.45\columnwidth}
\begin{block}{Bar}
foo
\end{block}
\end{column}

\begin{column}{0.45\columnwidth}
\begin{block}{Baz}
foo
\end{block}
\end{column}
\end{columns}
\end{frame}
```

Note that an alternative of placing `[t]` after each `column` environment
would also work.

Has anyone gotten these environments to work nicely together?

Cheers,
Matt

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/67508
[2] http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2009-12/msg00238.html
[3] http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2014-05/msg00980.html

--
Matthew Gidden
Ph.D. Candidate, Nuclear Engineering

* Re: [Beamer] Combining blocks, columns, and column(s) options
@ 2015-03-23 22:50 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-23 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Gidden; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Matthew Gidden <gidden@wisc.edu> writes:

> I've found a number of references to the problem of aligning columns,
> especially using the block environment [1, 2, 3]. Specifically, I would
> like to supply option arguments to either the `columns` or `column` latex
> environment directive. As written, it appears that only the `block`
> environment can be supplied options. I have also tried the BEAMER_envarg
> suggestion on the website <http://orgmode.org/manual/Beamer-export.html> to
> no avail.

"BEAMER_envarg" no longer exists. Using "columns", as suggested in the
manual, should work however:

* Foo
** Columns                                                             :B_columns:
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_env: columns
   :BEAMER_opt: t
   :END:
*** Bar                                                            :B_block:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.45
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :END:
 foo

*** Baz                                                            :B_block:BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.45
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :END:
 foo

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [Beamer] Combining blocks, columns, and column(s) options
@ 2015-03-24 16:25   ` Matthew Gidden
From: Matthew Gidden @ 2015-03-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Gidden, emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

I just wanted to report back that this worked out perfectly. Thanks! I'd be
happy to add documentation somewhere if it is desired.

Cheers,

--

@ 2015-03-24 21:00     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-24 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Gidden; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Gidden <gidden@wisc.edu> writes:

> I just wanted to report back that this worked out perfectly. Thanks! I'd be
> happy to add documentation somewhere if it is desired.

This is already documented:

     Moreover, headlines handle the ‘BEAMER_COL’ property.  Its value
  should be a decimal number representing the width of the column as a
  fraction of the total text width.  If the headline has no specific
  environment, its title will be ignored and its contents will fill the
  column created.  Otherwise, the block will fill the whole column and the
  title will be preserved.  Two contiguous headlines with a non-‘nil’
  ‘BEAMER_COL’ value share the same ‘columns’ LaTeX environment.  It will
  end before the next headline without such a property.  This environment
  is generated automatically.  Although, it can also be explicitly
  created, with a special ‘columns’ value for ‘BEAMER_ENV’ property (if it
  needs to be set up with some specific options, for example).

in particular the last sentence.

However, feel free to improve it, or suggest an example, if you think
this is not clear.