Hello again, sorry for the delay - I had some holiday time off that couldn't wait ;-) I've modified the ob-tangle.el file for the main tangling and detangling functions. Most importantly, both functions can now exchange information from the source Org mode file to the target remote tangle file in either direction, depending on whether the source Org file has `:tangle-sync ' in the header. The action is one of: - "export" = always transmit information from the source Org mode block to the target remote file. - "import" = always transmit information from the target remote file to the source Org mode block. - "skip" = skip the block. - "both" = transmit information from source block to target block or target block to source, depending on whether the tangle or detangle is called from the source buffer or the target buffer respectively. These functions work at the whole buffer and at the per-block level. The `org-babel-tangle-sync' functions automate this process by hooking into the `after-save-hook' and tangling / detangling the current block. I feel that I should write what the main motivation for this is: Dotfiles that are always in sync with the org-mode files they stem from. Hope this turns into something big! Best, Mehmet