On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM, John Wiegley wrote: > >>>>> Rainer M Krug writes: > > > I am already using desktop-save, but I have the feeling that it sometimes > > does not work. > > Just to note (and yes, this is very OT, so I won't say more): > Well - I want to use it with org-mode (org file, R session, second org file, ...) so it is not *that* OT, but only slightly. > WorkgroupsForWindows solves a different problem than desktop-save. In > fact, > there are three aspects to the problem, best addressed by three different > packages: > > session.el -- Remembers: > - the values of global variables (like history rings) > - where point and mark were in re-opened files > - gives you a C-x C-/ binding: pop to last change > > workgroups.el -- Remembers: > - one or more window configurations per-frame > - these can be saved and reloaded > - does *not* reload files, or rerun apps, > to populate those windows > - lets you have a "base" and "active" state for > each named configuration, making it easy to > revert back to the base state for each > > desktop.el -- Remembers: > - What files were open, and which apps were running, > and tries to re-open and re-run them so that Emacs > looks just like it did when you exited. > Thanks for this info - I am using desktop.el, trying to get into workgroups.el, and have not thought about session.el yet - but I might look at it. Thanks for all the info, Rainer > I use the first two, and I've used the third, but I find that I prefer > beginning with a fresh start each time I run Emacs, rather than seeing > again > all the hundreds of files I had open yesterday. > > John > > > -- Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany) Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology Stellenbosch University South Africa Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44 Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98 Fax (F): +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44 Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44 email: Rainer@krugs.de Skype: RMkrug