Greg, I just did a quick test and I cannot reproduce this, the tabs remain on entering, modifying and exiting block-edit mode. One question: do you see "Makefile" as the mode when you are editing the source block? Otherwise I imagine tab-to-space conversion might be taking place. --Diego On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 8:05 AM Greg Minshall wrote: > hi. it seems going into Org Src, at least from a "makefile" source > block, changes the tabs (the the base org mode added for me) into > spaces, and leaves them as spaces when i merge back into the main .org > file (and, so, make(1) complains, "missing separator"). > > is this intentional? > > #+begin_src makefile > all: > echo all done > #+end_src > > note that the first character of the "echo" line is a (or, was, > when i composed this message, sigh). do a C-', and note that in the Org > Src buffer, the "echo" line will start with a string of spaces. > > cheers, Greg > > ps -- is there some way i should escape/mime'ify such source blocks in > e-mail (to this list, at least)? > >