From: Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org>
To: Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Publish to PDF on Linux: An impossible task?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 09:36:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Nate,

As others have said, your problem sounds more like a broken TeXlive
install, I would highly recommend installing the official distribution.

However, even with a proper working LaTeX install, the output from the
plain LaTeX exporter can be underwhelming, particularly if you want things
to look "pretty". Things like syntax highlighting need to still be
configured manually. If you don't know LaTeX, it can be quite a task.

One shortcut I found (although I don't use this actively) is to export to
reStructuredText using ox-rst (https://github.com/kandread/ox-rst), and
then use Sphinx (http://www.sphinx-doc.org/
<http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/quickstart.html>) to produce
PDF. Sphinx has a pleasing default theme which includes syntax highlighting
and other nice formatting touches. Sphinx requires some initial setup but
it's not too complicated. Mind you: you still need a working LaTeX install,
as this is what Sphinx uses in the backend.

Hope this helps,
--Diego