* Can't activate orgmode after the installation of its git master version.
@ 2020-12-27 13:34 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2020-12-27 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

On Ubuntu 20.10, I compiled the latest git master version of emacs,
but I can't activate the org-mode command from within it. So I try to install
the orgmode using its git repository according to the official guidance [1] as
shown below.

$ git clone https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
$ cd code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
$ make autoloads

Then add the following lines into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path
"~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/contrib/lisp" t)

But after I started emacs and issue the instructions 'M-x org-mode RET', I
see the following information in the minibuffer:

M-x org-mode [No match]

As you can see, the org-mode is still not available. Any hints for
solving this problem is highly appreciated.

[1] https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Can't activate orgmode after the installation of its git master version.
@ 2020-12-27 14:12 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-27 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:34:18PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On Ubuntu 20.10, I compiled the latest git master version of emacs,
> but I can't activate the org-mode command from within it. So I try to install
> the orgmode using its git repository according to the official guidance [1] as
> shown below.
>
> $ git clone https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> $ cd code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> $ make autoloads
>
> Then add the following lines into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/lisp")
> (add-to-list 'load-path
> "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/contrib/lisp" t)
>
> But after I started emacs and issue the instructions 'M-x org-mode RET', I
> see the following information in the minibuffer:
>
> M-x org-mode [No match]

My guess is that org-mode isn't arranged to autoload
the org library.

Before doing "M-x org-mode" try doing "M-x load-library <RET> org <RET>".

If that works, then autoload is your problem.

(Background: Emacs doesn't load all available libraries: this would
make startup times too long for things you are probably not going to
need. Instead, it has a mapping of commands to libraries, to help it
load the right library whenever that command is seen the first time).

Once we know whether your problem is autoload, we can refine the
quest.

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Can't activate orgmode after the installation of its git master version.
@ 2020-12-27 14:57   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2020-12-27 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:12 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:34:18PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > On Ubuntu 20.10, I compiled the latest git master version of emacs,
> > but I can't activate the org-mode command from within it. So I try to install
> > the orgmode using its git repository according to the official guidance [1] as
> > shown below.
> >
> > $ git clone https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> > Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> > $ cd code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> > $ make autoloads
> >
> > Then add the following lines into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/lisp")
> > (add-to-list 'load-path
> > "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/contrib/lisp" t)
> >
> > But after I started emacs and issue the instructions 'M-x org-mode RET', I
> > see the following information in the minibuffer:
> >
> > M-x org-mode [No match]
>
> My guess is that org-mode isn't arranged to autoload
> the org library.
>
> Before doing "M-x org-mode" try doing "M-x load-library <RET> org <RET>".
>
> If that works, then autoload is your problem.

Yes. It does the trick.

> (Background: Emacs doesn't load all available libraries: this would
> make startup times too long for things you are probably not going to
> need. Instead, it has a mapping of commands to libraries, to help it
> load the right library whenever that command is seen the first time).
>
> Once we know whether your problem is autoload, we can refine the
> quest.

Then how should I revise my ~/.emacs.d/init.el to load org library
automatically before enable org-mode?

@ 2020-12-27 15:14     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2020-12-27 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:57 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:12 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 09:34:18PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > > On Ubuntu 20.10, I compiled the latest git master version of emacs,
> > > but I can't activate the org-mode command from within it. So I try to install
> > > the orgmode using its git repository according to the official guidance [1] as
> > > shown below.
> > >
> > > $ git clone https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> > > Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> > > $ cd code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git
> > > $ make autoloads
> > >
> > > Then add the following lines into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
> > >
> > > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/lisp")
> > > (add-to-list 'load-path
> > > "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/contrib/lisp" t)
> > >
> > > But after I started emacs and issue the instructions 'M-x org-mode RET', I
> > > see the following information in the minibuffer:
> > >
> > > M-x org-mode [No match]
> >
> > My guess is that org-mode isn't arranged to autoload
> > the org library.
> >
> > Before doing "M-x org-mode" try doing "M-x load-library <RET> org <RET>".
> >
> > If that works, then autoload is your problem.
>
> Yes. It does the trick.
>

> > (Background: Emacs doesn't load all available libraries: this would
> > make startup times too long for things you are probably not going to
> > need. Instead, it has a mapping of commands to libraries, to help it
> > load the right library whenever that command is seen the first time).
> >
> > Once we know whether your problem is autoload, we can refine the
> > quest.
>
> Then how should I revise my ~/.emacs.d/init.el to load org library
> automatically before enable org-mode?

I finally figured out the following initialization code for orgmode
based on your above wonderful notes:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path
"~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/contrib/lisp" t)
(require 'org)

Thanks again for your help.

@ 2020-12-27 16:18       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-27 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 11:14:56PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:

[...]

> I finally figured out the following initialization code for orgmode
> based on your above wonderful notes:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/lisp")
> (add-to-list 'load-path
> "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/contrib/lisp" t)
> (require 'org)

Great, that works as well. You bypass the autoload mechanism
with that -- org gets loaded unconditionally. But since you
will use it anyway, it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can teach us how one
might add an externally installed package into the autoload
machinery.

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Can't activate orgmode after the installation of its git master version.
@ 2020-12-28  0:24         ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2020-12-28  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:18 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 11:14:56PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I finally figured out the following initialization code for orgmode
> > based on your above wonderful notes:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/lisp")
> > (add-to-list 'load-path
> > "~/Public/repo/code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git/contrib/lisp" t)
> > (require 'org)
>
> Great, that works as well. You bypass the autoload mechanism
> with that -- org gets loaded unconditionally. But since you
> will use it anyway, it doesn't make that big of a difference.
>
> Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can teach us how one
> might add an externally installed package into the autoload
> machinery.

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> told the following fact:

I believe/hope this is a bug that was already fixed on the emacs-27
branch, and hopefully will be merged to master soon.

See <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ik=7b73d6af10&view=pt&search=all&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1687254661144715702&simpl=msg-f%3A1687254661144715702>
for more discussion on this topic.

@ 2020-12-28  9:30           ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-28  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)