Thanks, Ian. I've done things like that in the past, but it'd entail maintaining the TOC by hand, which I was hoping to avoid. True, I'd be able to create the initial TOC using org-mode, followed by manually inserting jQuery calls. But I'd have to manually edit the TOC every time I added a new chapter or section and every time I edited a heading title. On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Ian Barton wrote: > On 29/06/14 19:51, D. C. Toedt wrote: > at http://www.CommonDraft.org, and plan to expand and maintain it. > >> >> QUESTION: I'm currently using a single, multi-level table of contents >> (TOC) at the beginning of the document. That ends up being a lot to >> scroll through to get to the first chapter. I'd like instead to have: >> >> * a one-level "master" TOC at the beginning of the document, listing >> >> and linking to just the articles (in contracts, "articles" are the >> same as "chapters" in books, that is, the top-level sections); and >> >> * at the beginning of each article, a TOC listing and linking to the >> subheadings within that article. >> >> > Not an org-mode solution, but if your audience is consuming the content as > a web page generated from org-mode, you can do most of this using jQuery. > > What I am suggesting is you make your TOC collapsible and clicking on a > heading in the TOC expands the links to the sub headings underneath the > heading. You can probably do nested collapsible headings so you can expand > various level of subheadings like a concertina. > > I am definitely not a Javascript expert, but I have managed to use this > technique on some of my documents. > > Ian. > >