I'm late to this thread but found it in researching a similar problem. I use designated targets to create a permanently-named internal HTML anchor that I can use in providing a precisely-targeted complete URL that points to a specific paragraph (as opposed to a section). Example: In the file index.org, the org-mode dedicated target <> should export to HTML as: http://www.example.com/index.html#ThisTarget. The name #ThisTarget needs to be permanent because the document in question is a work in progress. Based on Nicolas's suggestion (downthread) about using #+HTML: or @@html: , I did a couple of quickie macros to create anchors and links, but that's a pain and clutters up the on-screen display in org-mode. ​​ ​--D. C.​ D. C. Toedt III Attorney & neutral arbitrator — tech contracts & IP *(My last name is pronounced "Tate")* O: +1 (713) 364-6545 C: +1 (713) 516-8968 ​​ dc@toedt.com @dctoedt ​ Skype: dctoedt ​ www.OnContracts.com/About ​​ Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is not intended to serve as assent to an agreement or other document, even if attached to this message.