Hi Steven, You want to learn more about LaTeX, but it's not too much. I wrote a little book called Self-publishing with LyX that will help you set up the title page as well as some of your other problems. This is not a sales pitch -- it's free :-). Self-publishing with LyX ISBN: 978-0-9803-3242-1 http://www.lulu.com/content/1085870 Cheers, Alan On 28 May 2014 13:25, Steven Arntson wrote: > Nick Dokos writes: > > > Igor Sosa Mayor writes: > > > >> Steven Arntson writes: > >> > >>> Hi, I'm trying to export an org-mode doc to LaTex and subsequently to > >>> PDF. This is a literary novel, written in prose. Right now when I run > >>> the export command, the resulting file is incorrectly formatted for the > >>> literary world, and I'm not sure how to change it. Is there a dialog or > >>> "customize" menu that allows users to eliminate some default settings, > >>> and add others? > >> > >> Maybe you can configure it with > >> M-x customize-group org > >> > >> But I think a look at the manual is pretty useful and you can configure > >> it in your .emacs without very much complication: > >> > >> http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-settings.html#Export-settings > >> > http://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-and-PDF-export.html#LaTeX-and-PDF-export > > > > I may be barking up the wrong tree, but to me the problem seems to be > > not so much what org does, but what latex does. If that is so, then > > perhaps what is needed is a latex style file that formats prose > > "correctly for the literary world". That may be a non-trivial > > undertaking (but maybe not: typographical demands for a novel are > > trivial compared to say mathematics). Integrating such a hypothetical > > style file into org would be pretty easy. > > > > But perhaps the OP can clarify: what does "incorrectly formatted for > > the literary world" mean? > > > > Nick > > Full disclosure: I'm a beginning emacs user, and I know nothing about > LaTex at all! > > I'm not producing a "book" per se, but a manuscript that will be > printed on 8.5 x 11 pages and read by my agent or a publisher. The > conventions are simple, but thus far I haven't been able to understand > much of what I'm reading in the customize menu for org-mode. > > Until now I've done this formatting with MS Word or Libre Office. I > dislike those programs, but I know how to use them. Simplest has been to > take my raw org-mode txt files and convert them manually. It's a tedious > last step before sending downstream, which I'd love to replace, and I've > seen some beautiful LaTex examples online, so I know it's possible ... > > Literary format redux: > + 12 point text > + Title page has title and author name, centered both horizontally and > vertically. Contact info for agent is in the bottom left, single spaced. > + Remaining pages are double-spaced > + Page numbers are centered at the bottom of the page (but no page number > on title page) > + Each page has a right-justified header in the format LASTNAME/TITLE > > That's it. I guess I'm wondering now--should I be learning more about > org-mode, or more about LaTex? > > Thank you very much for taking the time to read all of this. > > -Steven > > > > -- Alan L Tyree http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan Tel: 04 2748 6206